Hearing a rattling sound coming from my engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a hdj105 series and at around 2 to 3000rpm I can hear a rattling or knocking kind of sound I believe it’s coming from inside the motor I’ve only had the car for about a month not sure what it is I can’t post a video of the sounds

Is it a HZJ105 with a 1HDT/FT/FTE swap or a HDJ100 mate?

If it's a swap and a 1HDT, do you know if the big end bearings have ever been replaced?

It sounds like it’s coming directly from the head right where the valves would be but it could also be coming from somewhere a bit Deaper it’s either a rattle or a knock I can’t really tell it does it in neural and im pretty sure all the gears as long as it’s over a 1500 rpm

If it's a 1HZ and N/A, very unlikely to have BEB problems.

Can you use a piece of hose or something to isolate the location of the sound? Could be as simple as the valves being out of adjustment

If it's a 1HZ and N/A, very unlikely to have BEB problems.

Can you use a piece of hose or something to isolate the location of the sound? Could be as simple as the valves being out of adjustment
I’m not sure I might give it a try and how what is beb?

BEB is big end bearing - conrod to crankshaft. The 1hdt engines had trouble with them

Hmmmm I wonder what it could be then I’m going to my mechanics next week will get him to have a look

Can you post a video that shows the sound?

Sounds like the model of your truck would be HZJ105, FYI.

Can you post a video that shows the sound?

Sounds like the model of your truck would be HZJ105, FYI.
Yes it is a hdj105 and it won’t let me post a video showing the sounds I got my mate over last night he’s a diesel mechanic he said he thinks it’s my timing chain or something in my timing cover he used a stethoscope and said it definitely wasn’t engine knocking and it isn’t a big end bearing

If she's got a 1HZ it's a HZJ105, Toyota never made a HDJ105.

These engines do not have a timing chain, they have a belt so if the sound is coming from timing cover, investigate quickly as they are an interference engine and the pistons will hit the valves if the timing belt fails

If she's got a 1HZ it's a HZJ105, Toyota never made a HDJ105.

These engines do not have a timing chain, they have a belt so if the sound is coming from timing cover, investigate quickly as they are an interference engine and the pistons will hit the valves if the timing belt fails
Oh my bad I kept putting a d instead of a h

and no worries I was gonna take the timing cover off today to see if I could find anything obvious cause I don’t want to go to deep into it then on Monday will get my mechanic to look at it

What did the mechanic say?

What did the mechanic say?
Haven’t asked him yet I started a week work experience there yesterday and instead of paying me he is going to help install my lift kit so when we do my lift I’m gonna get him to sus out the sounds so hopefully by the end of the week I have a job there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom