Heard a griding noise driving down a bumpy gravel road and when I got home saw this (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like the from passenger side axle shaft is detaching from the steering knuckle. I've seen a similar posted but can't see to locate it now. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. What is the cause? snap ring or perhaps the bearings? Any special tools needed to repair? I plan on tearing it down tomorrow to get a parts list together. Thanks!

David

20210612_164312.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Snap ring fell off, open the dust cap and you'll see it. If you hear grinding, likely you've destroyed the hub flange and the axle ends. Gotta fork out some money now.
Nailed it.

Plan on new hub flange, snap ring and outer CV at least.

Any chance someone was in there recently? It seems that failure happens a lot right after somebody services it - presumably because they used the incorrect tool for snap ring removal and reused it or managed to yield it during install.

Nailed it.

Plan on new hub flange, snap ring and outer CV at least.

Any chance someone was in there recently? It seems that failure happens a lot right after somebody services it - presumably because they used the incorrect tool for snap ring removal and reused it or managed to yield it during install.
From looking at the other side, the culprit was a cheap brake job in which the mechanic replaced the snap ring with whatever was laying around. Definitely not the rings you buy from toyota with varying thickness. My thinking is that a poor job at setting the pre load on the bearings created enough play to crack the cheap snap ring. I found a bad caliper as well, so the job turned into a axle, flange, snap ring, front bearings, rotors, pads and calipers and a lesson in bleeding these rigs. Hopefully good for a while though but will definitely follow up keeping bearings greased + proper preload.

From looking at the other side, the culprit was a cheap brake job in which the mechanic replaced the snap ring with whatever was laying around. Definitely not the rings you buy from toyota with varying thickness. My thinking is that a poor job at setting the pre load on the bearings created enough play to crack the cheap snap ring. I found a bad caliper as well, so the job turned into a axle, flange, snap ring, front bearings, rotors, pads and calipers and a lesson in bleeding these rigs. Hopefully good for a while though but will definitely follow up keeping bearings greased + proper preload.
Not to mention those are not OE axles. OE axles will have yellow bands on the wheel side tulip. I had something similar with my truck when I first got it. I had the tell-tale "rumble/drone" during acceleration and then around 60mph that happens with cheap aftermarket axles. When I finally got into the truck to replace the axles I found that drivers side was replaced with a random C-clip snap ring and passenger side was old snap ring that was not gapped properly.

I replaced just about everything I could and she has driven like a dream for over a year now. Probably check her before I go on my trip in a couple weeks to just make sure everything is still nice and tight.

Not to mention those are not OE axles. OE axles will have yellow bands on the wheel side tulip. I had something similar with my truck when I first got it. I had the tell-tale "rumble/drone" during acceleration and then around 60mph that happens with cheap aftermarket axles. When I finally got into the truck to replace the axles I found that drivers side was replaced with a random C-clip snap ring and passenger side was old snap ring that was not gapped properly.

I replaced just about everything I could and she has driven like a dream for over a year now. Probably check her before I go on my trip in a couple weeks to just make sure everything is still nice and tight.
Ugh. Will probably need to go in and replace the other side as well. I didn't notice yellow bands, but didn't look too closely. So far I'm amazed at how much more quiet it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom