1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Health Safety

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by MiniPigg, Jul 29, 2005.

1. MiniPigg

MiniPigg

Media:
    Albums:
    My wife and I volunteer at clinics where people are not able to afford any medical care. They do not have to pay anything for the treatment they receive. After we finish or degree's I hope to be able to join teams that travel to South America 2 or 3 times a year to help people.

Anyway back to where I was going with this..... Something you have to place in the back of your head when working with blood and other body fluids is that the people you are working on might have something that can be passed onto you and then brought home to your family and/or friends. I can tell you that at the end of the day my wife jokes around with how clean I try to be before heading home.. she calls me Mr. Monk (its a tv show for those that dont know). Most the people you see are in very poor shape and have lived a hard life. I just don't give it much thought when I'm working. Today was different. We had two patients come in. One woman had little kids. She was fairly attractive and the kids were nice looking kids. When I opened her chart I noticed she was HIV+. It really broke my heart to see that this woman had HIV; not because of the fact that she was HIV+, but for her kids. I dont always double gloove when working with patients. But I always do when they have HIV/AIDS, Hep A,B,C. etc... I dont want my kids to catch this stuff. Anyway I just kept thinking about my own kids when I was there. When my wife and I drove home we talked about it. On one hand it felt really good to be able to help her, but on the other you cant help but think about her poor kids. I hope they live a long and healthy life. Anyway I have to say that I am a little bummed about the whole thing.

The other hits a little closer to some of our single cruiserheads. I went out to get the next patient. I called her name and a very attractive blonde stands up. Ya I have to say she would be a girl any young kid would want to get their hands on. She was not someone we expected to see. Like I said the majority of the people are very poor and cant afford anything. So I seat her and go over her chart.... YEP she is HIV+.

The moral of the story.... Well Im not here trying to preachare now . We just wanted to say there are lots of HIV+ people out there that look absolutely normal. Ive had patients that are now into AIDs and they look somewhat normal and you wouldnt think they were infected. We just wanted to say be carefull. Protect yourself and your loved ones.

2. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

How did she catch Aids from her kids?

Anyway, point taken, and thanks for the work you do. Our free clinic has lexus and mercedes in the parking lots

3. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Universal precautions a must. Because there are a lot out there with HIV that will not indicate so on their health history and a lot with HBV and HCV who don't even know they have it. These are all bloodborne pathogens, not airborne. And you and your kids should already have had the HBV vaccine.
    Just don't share needles with or have sex with your patients and you should be good.

GL

Ed

4. MiniPigg

MiniPigg

Media:
    Albums:
    LoL.... I dont think I'll be doing either of those ... ever.

Yes we all have our vaccines. We deal with blood with most of these patients. I always wear my PPE. Also blood can become a mist or come close to being a vapor after going thru the delivery system or a centrifuge. But thats not the reason for the thread. My wife and I just wanted to make sure everyone was safe thru a reminder. Not that we are trying to play mom and dad.

5. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    That last part was a J-O-K-E. I'm more scared during flu season as it is much more contaigous. I'm a hand-washin' MoFo. Keep a bottle of the ethyl alcohol hand wash in all my vehicles.
    What is your profession? You mentioned centrifuges. Med Tech, Phlebotomist, Doc?
    I'm a "ToothBoy" as Poser puts it and we aerosolize everything, baaaaad, but hard to avoid.
    I find it odd that patients can lie to HCP's and no problem, but that's why the universal precautions.

Good post, stay safe, wash your hands!!!! And don't have sex with used needles, either.

Ed

6. Stone

Stone Moderator

I'm hoping that you haven't assumed how this woman came to be infected, as there are a number of ways of that happening, including a promiscuous and unscrupulous spouse, a tainted blood transfusion before proper screening techniques, etc.

Anyway, HIV is the least of your worries. There are plenty of other communicable infections out there that are much easier to catch. Every health care professional [should] practice universal precautions as stated above, not just when they come into contact with what society has taught them are unsavoury characters.

To tell you the truth, I received a lot more appreciation from clients who lived in squallor rather than from clients who were wealthy. The wealthy ones tended to (but not always) simply expect and demand service due to their social position while the destitute were more grateful for whatever care you can render to them. This is a generalization, of course, and there were some notable exceptions.

7. Bluto

Bluto

I worked at county, state, and private hospitals in the States. The majority of the time, I experienced the opposite. The poor expected and wanted too much. They expected you to know their language and if you dont - you experience anger and hostility from them. The wealthy did not demand much but expected you to do your job. But like you said these are generalizations and there are exceptions.

8. MiniPigg

MiniPigg

Media:
    Albums:
    First I'd like to say that I work with HIV/AIDS patients. I dont judge them or assume anything as that makes an -ASS- out of -U- and -ME- . Most the people we work with have a hard life. I dont think I need to add any more then that. I enjoy helping people that are having health issues and can not afford any sort of health care. I dont think I can tell you how happy they are to get something to help give them some better quality of life.

I worked as a medtech assistant for a period of time. So I have seen pretty much the whole gammit of human body parts and tissues etc...I am currently going into another feild.