Headoing out this weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After owning a 77 FJ45LBP now for a wee bit, I'm finally heading out to Canada to pick it up. Wayne was kind enough to ship it to Gozzard for me and Mike Gozzard has been holding onto it till I could get up there. I borrowed a trailer for the trip, but does anyone have a guess as to what a fairly stock 45LBP would weigh?

I'll be towing it with the 4.56 geared and supercharged 80, with elec. brake controller and have towed before.

Wish me luck. If I had any more wood I may actually be able to see I had something down there. :grinpimp:

Cruiser_Nerd said:
It's all down hill, don't worry about it. :flipoff2:
What a let down, I was looking forward to the cross country drive saga! :rolleyes:
Hey Cruiser_Nerd - I do have a phone number for you so any cross country difficulties would definitely include you :flipoff2: There is no escaping :flipoff2:

Guestimate on weight of the 45LBP?

Net Vehicle Weight 3,790 lbs.

I see we've been spending all this time learning as much as possible about our new purchase haven't we? :D

Junk said:
....but does anyone have a guess as to what a fairly stock 45LBP would weigh?

This help?
GenSpecs (Small).jpg

Cruiser_Nerd said:
Net Vehicle Weight 3,790 lbs.

I see we've been spending all this time learning as much as possible about our new purchase haven't we? :D
I'm going to pull out all the stakes from your tent at CMCC :flipoff2:

Been more concerned about trying to make the 80 trip worthy and getting work issues under control.

Thanks IDave.

Thanks you too Cruiser_Nerd but I'll have to come back and edit this portion out :D

Woody can tell ya'..... he made it back from the Roundup with more weight and less power..........

Butch

Texican said:
Woody can tell ya'..... he made it back from the Roundup with more weight and less power..........

Butch

Was that a vehicle or a personal problem? :flipoff2:

I towed my 45 '(L) P-B home with my wifes 80 and a rented POS U-haul trailer. It was "fairly stock". The engine, transmission, transfercase and every other part they could unbolt was in the bed, most of it behind the rear axle.

I loaded it front end first and all the weight was about 4 feet behind the axle of the trailer. I couldn't go faster than 30 with out the thing fish tailing like crazy. I stopped at a junkyard and they helped me unload and reload it backwards. Then I had a huge tongue load but at least was able to get up to 65 on the highway.

The U-haul trailer was around 2500 pounds I think and the 45 weighed about 3500 pounds.

How far are you towing it?

Dan

Towing it about 600 miles.

So you think it should be loaded backwards or was that just because you had so much weight in the bed of the truck?

Ya'll are just strapping these down right?

You want to load it so that there is a couple hundred pounds on the trailer tongue. That was the reason (I'm sure) why the other guy turned the truck around.
Too much tongue weight and you get too light on the front of the tow vehicle, not enough and you start to get steered by the load and fishtailing.
Strap it down so that the truck and trailer are as one. We used a couple of 2" straps on the '55 when we brought it back on a flat bed with the '82 '60.
600 miles isn't too bad. We hauled the '55 from SoCal to B.C., Canada. Yes, up and down the grapevine at Gorman out of LA!!

Yeah, I had to turn it around because of the funky weight distribution of having the drivetrain in the bed. Ideally you want the majority of the weight over the trailer axles, not behind them and not in front of them.

Chain binders pulling agianst each other are the best way to keep the load on there as chain doesn't stretch as much as straps.

Does the 45 run? If not, and the trailer doesn't have a winch, I'd buy a cheap Harbor Freight 12v electric winch. Or if you've got a whench on the 80 (are you married?) you can use it.

Dan

lol, married till the 45 gets home :D

Yeah, it runs and I have both front and rear winches on the 80 - hey, we ain't all mall pansies like Woody is with his :D

Junkster,

You might get a couple 20' chains and a pair of chain binders so you can put the 45 on the trailer where it needs to be. The tire straps on the u-haul trailers never seem to put a Cruiser in the right place for good towing. Maybe steal a set from Chuck's trailer... :D

Enjoy your trip...

Nick

Thanks Nick. Actually borrowing Cruise4070's trailer, so this is the second 45 reclamation run this trailer has been on. Yeehaa, bring all them buggers to NJ. :D

Junk when are you leaveing for Canada?I`m heading to Upstate NY,for the weekend tomorrow afternoon.If you see my Cruiser on the Thruway beep as you go by.Good luck with the trip and the Cruiser.

Good luck Junk and don't let those border guys give you any crap.

madams557 said:
Good luck Junk and don't let those border guys give you any crap.

yeah, just flip em off and tell em your name is brian swearingen

malphrus
(good luck with the haul)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom