Headliner Replacement on '97 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.marklowimagery.com
My wife keeps telling me that I need a new truck beacuse mine is so dirty inside. Probably from running with the windows down all the time on dirt roads, the headliner is really dirty and somehow it has gotten mud on it too. I have asked the people at Ziebart about cleaning the liner like you would carpet, but they said they would be afraid to touch it for fear that they would make it look worse. I have tried cleaning, well vacume cleaning with hose and brush, but I wonder if anyone has cleaned theirs with say like a Hoover wet vac with the hose attatchment. I would rather clean it than have to replace it all together. If though I did want to replace it, how much would one cost and how difficult do you figure it would be to install? I would be concerned about it rattling even moreso that the stock liner. Mine rattles when the sun roof shade is closed, so I usually keep it open for that reason...

HEADLINING ASSEMBLY,ROOF: 63311-60330-A0(IVORY) OR-B0(GREY) your choice, only $1,225.67 each.

Be really careful how you clean it :eek:

That is what one would expect... How about cleaning, and then once cleaned, use something like Scotch Guard to aide in keeping it clean thereafter? I just don't want to make it look like a dog with the mange...

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4901;start=msg37303#msg37303 date=1062545919]

HEADLINING ASSEMBLY,ROOF: 63311-60330-A0(IVORY) OR-B0(GREY) your choice, only $1,225.67 each.

Be really careful how you clean it :eek:
[/quote]

CDan, what is the best way to clean the headliner? Mine looks very dingy and sher could use some cleaning. I am trying to get the interior back up to looking good and the headliner is what you first notice as the dirtiest part.

I also have to replace all the second row lap belts, both of the side retractables and the middle. The dogs chewed them up but now they have the cargo barrier so it is time for me to replace them. Do you have a price on them in grey?

I can get the belt info for you on Monday. As far as the headliner goes, I would suggest you get in touch with a local auto detailing shop and ask them how they would pursue cleaning it. I have not tried to clean one of them myself so I know just enough to be dangerous. :eek:

The headliners are made from a very thin fabric and are stretched across a molded foam. Any wet cleaner your apply will will quickly pass through the fabric to the foam, leading to further problems down the line. Mainly because some of the dirt goes with the liquid, hangs out in the foam, and eventually gets transferred back to fabric as it dries. This happens with carpeting a lot - those who have pets know.

So anything wet and anything but the mildest wiping should be avoided. I had a 98 4Runner and my dog liked to poke her nose against the headliner in the cargo area. It looked pretty nasty over the years. I took it to an auto upholsterer er :) and they replaced the entire headliner with a new color-matched fabric and new foam backing for $150. There was no sunroof to deal with and the 4runner is definitely smaller but I think you could definitely get it done for a small fraction of the OEM replacement cost. You could smell the glue for a few weeks as well but it looked very sharp.

Good luck -

Mike

Headliners are tough. Like syrinxstar said, they are super thin, and the adhesive they use on them is about a tough as what they use on a post-it note. Use anything too harsh and it'll start to droop. Definitely don't use an extractor on it.

The best luck I've had is to sparingly spray some upholstery cleaner on the bristles of a soft scrub brush, and brush lightly. Then wipe with a barely damp rag...like squeeze as much water as possible out of it. I've gotten out cola stains with this method, but can't say I've ever had to clean mud of a headliner ;)

Thanks guys... I'll figure out what I am going to do or I may just live with it. It just has mudd stains from wheeling with windows down etc. and then after I finished with the Milford cargo barrier install, I now have grime from working in those areas of the headlinner. Thanks

mark

Mark,

You can diy the headliner replacement if you have the material and the 3M glue (can't recall the exact part number). It's easy but a little time consuming. I did one in my other SUV. Removing the sunroof cassete wasn't bad either but you may not need to mess with it. Trouble is that the new headliner material will look different from your existing sunroof shade so at the end you'll want to recover it too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom