Headliner Headaches! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have taken two *#$ whippings from the headliner in my 60 this week. One was enough. Monday I was headed to the office; at the end of the on ramp a slight flapping started. Now my headliner had a small (about 8" long) v shaped tear at the seams in the back but the rest of it still looked good.

To shorten the story the flapping turned to a slapping and then a severe buffetting before I started slowing down. It was too late the old dry rotted stitching gave up the ghost and the whole headliner started a cyclone like motion inside the cab.

Mind you I was on an inner city three lane freeway and couldn't defend myself properly so I took several naugaleather slaps to the side of the head. I am pretty sure it looked like the recent footage of the kids inflatable play bouncy in Arizona being whirled around by the wind. I am also positive another driver called 911 and reported a driver of a brown Land Cruiser fighting another man dressed in a toga driving down I-430.

I ordered a new headliner from Spectre and it arrived Friday. I started putting it in yesterday. Did you ever notice how big a 60's geadliner is? I have the wind screen and rear side windows out and started from the front. I am using contact cement at the pinch welds and Gorilla Glue in the corners of the door jams. Everything is going pretty well but man do I have a crick in my neck. I just hope it turns out good when I am done.

Does anyone have any pointers for finishing the rear bows up and installing the door jam trim so it will stay?

Last edited:
On the Mopar forums I frequent there are alot of great writeups for installing cloth (or vinyl) headliners that I'm sure would apply to our trucks as well. My headliner has some stains and small tears in the corners (not nearly enough to beat the crap out of me on the freeway though, yikes!) that make me want to replace it.

Wish I could offer you some help other than that, but I'm pretty much useless on this front. I'll be following this thread though so I can have an idea what I'll be getting myself into though once I eventually do mine.

Edit: here are a couple links I had forgotten I'd saved. First one starts about a third the way down the page. Second one is a very good how-to on another forum/

http://www.70duster440.com/reassembly.html

http://www.restorick.com/tech/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5

Last edited:
Specter headliner

Spectre's headliner is made of an elastic stretchable material that makes the install easier than the stock type material would be. I can imagine it would be a nightmare to put an original in. You have to be very careful not to break the plastic tips on each bow. I have dipped a few of the ends in plastic tool handle dip as I broke a few of mine. I just wanted to see to it they stay in place and don't rattle.

I think i will just spray paint my inner roof white, crap I might even paint a cloud and a bird here and there.. be easier than the ass whuppin ya took bryce !!! you have WAY more patience than I do.. :hillbilly: see ya Dave
hey are ya goin to the ramble??

Mind you I was on an inner city three lane freeway and couldn't defend myself properly so I took several naugaleather slaps to the side of the head. I am pretty sure it looked like the recent footage of the kids inflatable play bouncy in Arizona being whirled around by the wind. I am also positive another driver called 911 and reported a driver of a brown Land Cruiser fighting another man dressed in a toga driving down I-430.

Dale's Pale Ale out my nose...thanks for wasting my beer :flipoff2:

Hey Super Dave, I was almost at the point a few points where I told the headliner "I am going to kill you." Remember me charging up the hill in Hot Springs telling the tree i was going to kill it. Same scene with the "A" pillar posts. I am not sure on the Ramble.

DaveIT, I am sorry I wasted your beer. I am glad there was some humor involved in this project.

Seriously, Spectre has a great product. Much better than the original.

I'll have to check out the Specter product once I get a new gasket so I can pull my windshield and reinstall myself. Another member on here has some of the better (black) lockstrip that he's hooking me up with if I can ever find my damned tape measure (aaahh the joys of moving) to let him know how much I need :bang:

Headliner
I just finished mine. I needed a new windshield as it was cracked and leaking between the gasket and the glass. The side windows are easy to push out with gentle and even pressure. The windshield is most likely going to crack when it is removed if it has a chip or crack. Plan on installing a new windshield just in case it does crack. You will also most likely need some of the side panel clips and inserts to reinstall the loser side panels. It seems no matter how careful you are a few always break.

The install is a little overwhelming for one person. It would help to have some extra hands but it is not essential. My A pillars did not turn out very well. The thin foam just under the liner fell apart in dust when the old headliner was removed. I had some thicker foam and tried it but it was to thick. I tried trimming it but did not have a good way to trim it's thickness and make it uniform. I opted to leave the foam out. The A pillars are now flat looking as the headliner is stretched against the metal. You will need some 1/4" thick foam. You will need at least a dozen clamps. I found it helpful to use a 1 X 2 to place along the outside of the pinch welds along the window openings and then clamp in place. This helped hold the headliner while the contact cement set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom