Headliner and floor-work show'n tell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I live in Oslo.. the biggest village in Norway
Hey.. thought i could share some pics with you fine 60lovers.

I had my HJ60 stolen right before easter.. I was devastated.:crybaby:
Happily it was found not far from here about a week later. It had probably been standing there since the same night it dissapeared. The car was in pretty much the same condition as it was before.. ofcourse all my tools and stuff + the stereo was gone, even the drawers from my cargosystem... I sure made it practical for them..

So with my dear HJ60 back where it belongs I was really motivated to do some work on it.... So I gutted it . only left the dash.
Previously I had installed some foam-type sound insulation on the floor of the car and it had a make-shift carpet that looked pretty nasty. The foamstuff had a great ability to hold water..figures since it's basically a thin spunge....
I wanted to lay down something that really stuck to the floor and kept moisture away from the sensitive samurai-steel for ever..
I considered using the flexible adhesive bitumen sheets.. like Dynamat.. But beeing on a silly tiny budget it was deemed too expensive.
Instead i went with thick roofstuff...don't know what you call it...basically the stuff they "weld" together with torches on roofs.. a good quality 3-4mm thick bitumen/asphalt sheet.
This was melted onto the floor and if i ever want to get it back off it will be 50 hours of hell..

The old stuff was pretty nasty to get out to.. the foam had a really good glue on it.. so whereever that had been no moisture it was stuck on pretty bad...
The old soundproofing-stuff chipped away ok in most places but was really sticky where it had been under preassure.

After i had cleaned the whole floor out I brushed on a coat of some mystery-fluid that should supress any rustforming..It's not available commercially anymore but i think some industry still use the stuff... contains led

Dinner time.. I'll be back in an hour or so with more pictures and tales from the far side....:cheers:
hellofajobdamnthissucked.jpg
gutted2.jpg
The orange stuff.jpg

Last edited:
Ok.. so I carry on.

When the orange stuff dried it was time for a thin coat of heated bitumen underbody-stuff.

Then it was time to fire up the torch.. It took me about two days to cover the whole floor. I went a cm up along all the edges to keep water from touching the steel should a puddle appear somehow..
In the front foot-wells and around the transmissiontunell I went for 2-3 layers of the stuff.. The adhesion is fantastic but it was really tricky to get it into all the bumps. I went to great lenghts to avoid trapping air under it.

Rear picture is halfway into the job.
The sticky stuff.jpg
Up front.jpg

Sooo...

Then it was time to deal wit the headliner... The old one was smoked in pretty well. It was loose around all the windows and looked like krap except the front third.

My moms husband is a sailmaker so he made me a new headliner from leather looking skai /vinyl material. It was made with an old dry headliner as a template so fitment was something i hoped for.

Installing in was easier than i expected, I expected the worst ofcourse. I kicked out the old windshield but left the rear side-windows in and just slipped the liner in behind the rubber-seal.

Still a few adjustements to be made around the left a-pillar, but overall I'm really pleased with the result.. It's not as tight along the sides as the original liner but hey...first time..and free!

I have a few more pictures in my camera but ut needs charging before i can transfer them to my laptop.

While you wait, feel free to comment on my work or my writing..:)
Old dirty mess.jpg
New headliner going in.jpg

So the new skin went in prety good. I will replace the brown edge-moulding with some that has less damage and paint on them. At the same time I'll do some minor adjustements the the lining and maybe sort it out a little better in the edges.. but still.. I think it turned out ok.

New.., well.. clean,undamaged, brown original carpets thrown in and interiour refitted. Feels great.
I have plans for new seats. Hope to find some affordable brown or beige leather-seats.. thinking of pullig the covers of and have someone inlay the original brown/beige fabric from a couple of nice passengers-seats.. (usually fine in the fabric since few 60's have been family cars)
I'm also fitting a pretty old Kenwood cd-player..I like it since it's brown and matches the dash..
Fitting new headliner.jpg
sidewiew.jpg
stuff going back in.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Your new headliner is a vast improvement. Interesting job on the floor boards. Is the roofing material mostly rubber or mostly asphault? And you'll have to give us your opinion on how much more quiet your ride is with the roofing material on the floor.

Probably won't be long until you get the urge for some new seats too. :)

And install a vehicle immobiliser in your truck so nobody can steal it again.

Last edited:
any idea what shipping would be to ca on one of those head liners? marine stuff you say huh.... may hafta look into boat shops around here looks awsome

any idea what shipping would be to ca on one of those head liners? marine stuff you say huh.... may hafta look into boat shops around here looks awsome

I was thinking the same thing, that headliner looks great! That can't weigh much, so I am sure the shipping would not be bad.

Zack

Headliner looks great! I too would be interested if he decided to make a few more.

Keep up the good work!

Thanx for the kind words guys.:cheers:

The headliner is basically a one-off but I might presuade him to make a few more. The material is what he usually use for seats and cushions in boat interiours and is pretty stretchy.
I wouldn know about shipping... I once shipped a box of exotic (er..norwegian) food, candy and beer to my cousin in Georgia, it was around 50$..

The black floor-stuff has no rubber at all.. It's all asphalt with some fiberglass reinforcement and crushed slate on top..
The old "dynamat" that I chipped out of the car had no weight at all.. It felt really plasticy.. the new stuff is really heavy, the roll of 1x7 meters weigh over 40 kg's, and I used the whole thing + a bit more of another roll.. So it should work pretty well against noise. I took the car for a trip when i had installed only the floor.. With no carpets, seats or headliner it was still a bit noisy ofcourse, but it seemed a lot quieter form up front from the engine.
I haven't tried it with all the stuff back in yet as I have some battery-issues and am currently charging them indoors.

I'll sure give a report and some more pictures when it's done.
:steer:

Nice job:clap:
By the way what is that switch left above the fuse box? I have the same switch in mine and haven't figured it out:confused:

Not to hijack the post but has anyone tried using the paint on type roof sealer used for mobile homes and campers as a waterproof underliner beneath their carpet? Its pretty thick. I tihnk a few coat sof it would be easy to install and sound deadneing as well as waterproof.....any ideas....pro or con?

Nice job:clap:
By the way what is that switch left above the fuse box? I have the same switch in mine and haven't figured it out:confused:

Hmmm.. above the fusebox you say.. The one that is barely visible on the pic ? That is just something I have put in.. it controls the light inside the boost-meter , and the one next to it is for some extra headlights..
I'll add some pictures later today, I can take a few of the dash aswell

Not to hijack the post but has anyone tried using the paint on type roof sealer used for mobile homes and campers as a waterproof underliner beneath their carpet? Its pretty thick. I tihnk a few coat sof it would be easy to install and sound deadneing as well as waterproof.....any ideas....pro or con?

well.. kinda "pron". That stuff is very sticky and wont dry completely (If I know what you mean) so your carpets will stick to it wherever it's under preassure.. I'd say no... go for something with a dry surface like the stuff I used... or probably even better, something purpose-made like dynamat.

Have been out for a drive on the freeway..Windshield just tapet on the outside (it's at the glass-guy now) so there was a bit of whistling from that.
Noise: Well it's certainly a lot quieter than it used to be... the comparing is a bit off since i had the foam in there earlier and it wasn't to bad to begin with, but I'm pleased.. there is absolutely no noise from the rear or from the wheels... Ofcourse I can still hear the 2H (turbo+ 3"exh.)...it takes more than a ply or two of asphalt to silence that beast:D

More interiour-pictures coming up this afternoon:clap:

Nice job! I think this is ingenious and resourceful. If you were to do it again (sound deaden a cruiser) make sure and check out Second Skin products. They have some sprayable deadener that would likely lay down easily and uniformly. Definitely in a much faster time than torching this in, but probably quite a bit more $. (isn't that always the case).

Great looking headliner! I'm on the verge of pulling mine down to deaden the roof... I'm a bit intimidated honestly that i won't be able to get it back in without it looking like crap.

I'm just waiting on the vinyl to motivate me to finish my deadener install. I'm slow... It's nice out and too many fun things to do...(paragliding, volleyball, etc.) I really do miss driving my 84 though!

Oh and if you ever do need to pull some of that up - try dry ice and a hammer. I used dry ice/hammer to get rid of the OEM tar mat before installing my Damplifier Pro.

Keep up the good work! (Oslo=4.5million! nice "village" lol)

rob

"Keep up the good work! (Oslo=4.5million! nice "village" lol)"

Thanx. Feels good to be an inspiration for others to throw them selves at it!.. cheers!.
But doesn't your car have the original insulation in the roof ?

By the way.. Oslo's population is around 500 000.. The whole country is around 4,5 mill. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom