Headliner Adhesive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have a recommendation for headliner adhesive?

I installed a headliner on a different project using Permatex headliner and carpet adhesive, but with the hardtop in my storage building which gets hot in the summer, the headliner dropped off.

Any experience/suggestions for a high temp. adhesive?

There are a few threads on this., so search away.

I have had varying luck (never great) with all of them (various 3M headliner products). I think I will have an upholstery shop do it next time, using their adhesive shot from a paint gun. That is how the pros do it and I'm tired of redoing it every few years.

Yeah just had mine done. This is the second one after the original. My friend did the first replacement and it lasted all of six months. Took the fiberglass top and headliner I bought from Cruiser Corps down to upholstery shop. They put it in for $100. They used the adhesive SteveH mentioned. All summer long in hot Bakersfield and no sags yet.

I did mine 6 years ago with outdoor carpet from Lowe's. The Weldwood brushable contact cement is the best I found. I live in Austin Texas. It gets hot here and I park in the sun all day. No sign of any sagging or pulling free. If you decide to try a different contact cement, you absolutely must completely clean off all the old cement before adding anything new. Acetone is a good start, but finish cleaning with lacquer thinner before applying the new contact cement. It had to be brushed on both surfaces and allowed to set for 15 to 20 minutes, then pushed together. You have to either use a roller all over the material, or press it in by hand for a while to be sure it is properly adhered. I removed the hard top, flipped it over in the yard and was able to get good coatings on both surfaces. Then my wife actually walked on the carpet to press it down. Worked great for me.

Thanks for the answers.

Hadn't though of the weldwood adhesive, even though I used it for other projects.

I have the top off, cleaned and outside primed, waiting for less humidity so I can paint it. Then flip it and install the headliner.

I used 3M High Strength 90 last year to install a new headliner in my FZJ75 pickup and it has held up well in the heat in Saudi Arabia (115+ routinely in the summer). I did install some Second Skin Audio Damplifier Pro under the headliner so that might be helping a bit with the heat but only a bit. I wanted to use the 3M Headliner Adhesive but couldn't find it in Riyadh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom