Headlights went out tonight!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i was driving home and out of nowhere the lights cease to work. Nothing like this has ever happened in the past. My running lamps, turn signals, and taillamps all work fine. Checked fuses and looked everything over(it's dark) and nothing jumped out on me. Searched the archive but didnt really get anything definitive. Any ideas on where to look?

cabron said:
i was driving home and out of nowhere the lights cease to work. Nothing like this has ever happened in the past. My running lamps, turn signals, and taillamps all work fine. Checked fuses and looked everything over(it's dark) and nothing jumped out on me. Searched the archive but didnt really get anything definitive. Any ideas on where to look?

Dimmer switch. Maybe just unplugged. I had it happen to my FJ40

sometimes with mine i'll just have to bump the fuse a bit and they'll come on. i keep the cover off for easy access. or try cleaning the contacts where the fuse connects. my .02

Brian, two ideas. One: try hitting the hi-beam to see if both circuits are out [process of elimination. Second: try pulling the headlight circuit wire off of the back of the fuse block and cleaning that terminal on the block. Don't ask me how I learned that one!:doh:

65swb45 said:
Second: try pulling the headlight circuit wire off of the back of the fuse block and cleaning that terminal on the block. Don't ask me how I learned that one!:doh:

Same here. I couldn't figure out one night why people were flashing me. I finally reallized my headlights were not working. Found the problem to be the connection on the back of the fuse panel was corroded. Cleaned it up and no problems now.

Stupid fuses,

I've had a fuse that had the cap coming off of one end. Just barely made connection, but looked ok otherwise, running lights kept going on and off.

Was going to replace the box, but it is working fine for now, on to other stuff...:D

I had the same fuse problem with the cap just comming off. The filiment looked find but didn't make contact all the time. It was for my charging circut. I replaced a few alternators before I figured that one out. Make sure the headlight switch (on/off) is working ok. I have to wiggle mine around a little to get the headlights to come on. The running lights come on no problem. If you dont have a relay setup for the headlights, all the power has to go through the contacts in that switch and they must "wear out" over time from arcing (sp). If none of the lights work check the plug to the switch behind the dash. Mine just came off once. Wow, sounds like I have a POS huh:D

seat for the fuse broke on mine.

I took all of the harnesses out of the back of the fuse block, fine sanded and cleaned the points and put everything back together. Bam I"VE GOT LIGHTS. Thanks for all of the input guys, it saved me alot of troubleshooting work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom