Headlights not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, after some help with the headlights on my FJ62 which have stopped working. Side-lights still work.
For a while they have been playing up, they come on very dimly, if i flick on high beam a few times, the headlights come on properly.
The other week though they have stopped and nothing i can do makes them come back on.
I've read a bunch of posts and tried most things i can think of.
I've pulled off the steering wheel and found the contacts in the light/indicator stick and sanded the contacts.
I've traced the 3 wires from the headlight stick to the connector block under the steering column and using a voltmeter, i know when i turn on the headlights, the switch in the stick is working up to this point.
I can hear the relay 'click' when i turn the side lights on, but no relay click for the headlights. (there are 3 silver 12v relays behind the fuse box).
Checked fuses/the lights themselves all look ok.
Anyone got any ideas?
I'm guessing its a faulty headlight relay, but i'm not sure which one it is. Any help much appreciated.
Cheers.
Andy.

Have you tried switching the relay with the high beam relay if they are the same to see if it is bad?

Headlight woes are my favorite subject! :hillbilly:

Here is how they work (when they work). When you turn the headlights on, the headlight relay closes and supplies 12 volts to the two headlight fuses--one for each side. If both fuses are good, then the 12 volts should appear at all four headlights on the Red/White wire for the Left and the Red/Blue wire for the right.

So, step one is to pull the headlight stick back to the "flash" position and see if you hear the relay click. Now turn the headlights to the on position and listen for the headlight relay click again. Now, with the headlight switch in the on position, check the wires I mentioned above at the headlights to see if the 12 Volts is present. If so, you are ready for the next troubleshooting step, if not, you will need to diagnose why. It will either be the headlight switch (the one you rotate on the end of the headlight stick), the relay, one or both fuses, or wires in between. See pic for relay location (reverse position for left hand drive vehicle). It would most likely be the relay.

Now that you have 12 volts at all four headlights, the Hi/Lo beam selection is done by selecting a ground path for the headlights based on the position of the headlight stick. Forward provides a path to ground for the Hi beams, and back provides a path for the Lo beams. So if you have 12 volts at the headlights, but they won't turn on in either the Hi or Lo beam position, then the problem most likely lies in the switch inside the steering column. Of course, you could also have headlight elements burned out. I've seen both Lo beam headlight elements burned out (symptom is no Lo beams, AND the dash Hi beam indicator doesn't work), but it is improbable that all 6 headlight elements are burned out unless you had a runaway alternator that boosted the voltage and burned them all out.

So that's it. Post back if you have any questions.
relaylocationssmall.jpg

Last edited:
Headlight woes are my favorite subject! :hillbilly:

Here is how they work (when they work). When you turn the headlights on, the headlight relay closes and supplies 12 volts to the two headlight fuses--one for each side. If both fuses are good, then the 12 volts should appear at all four headlights on the Red/White wire for the Left and the Red/Blue wire for the right.

So, step one is to pull the headlight stick back to the "flash" position and see if you hear the relay click. Now turn the headlights to the on position and listen for the headlight relay click again. Now, with the headlight switch in the on position, check the wires I mentioned above at the headlights to see if the 12 Volts is present. If so, you are ready for the next troubleshooting step, if not, you will need to diagnose why. It will either be the headlight switch (the one you rotate on the end of the headlight stick), the relay, one or both fuses, or wires in between. See pic for relay location (reverse position for left hand drive vehicle). It would most likely be the relay.

Now that you have 12 volts at all four headlights, the Hi/Lo beam selection is done by selecting a ground path for the headlights based on the position of the headlight stick. Forward provides a path to ground for the Hi beams, and back provides a path for the Lo beams. So if you have 12 volts at the headlights, but they won't turn on in either the Hi or Lo beam position, then the problem most likely lies in the switch inside the steering column. Of course, you could also have headlight elements burned out. I've seen both Lo beam headlight elements burned out (symptom is no Lo beams, AND the dash Hi beam indicator doesn't work), but it is improbable that all 6 headlight elements are burned out unless you had a runaway alternator that boosted the voltage and burned them all out.

So that's it. Post back if you have any questions.
View attachment 422123

I saw your post regarding headlights was hoping for assistance. My headlights high /low stopped working today. I have markers, taillights and both blinkers work. If I pull back stock the brights come on. I restored vehicle and replaced the entire stock controls a month ago. All systems functioned after replacement.
In a time crunch, in process of listing on bring a trailer. Found problem when photographer was taking photos today for posting..
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve

in the steering wheel column, attached to the headlight stock is a contactor. I have had several fail because the solder joints fail. Try inspecting the wires to see if some solder joints failed

i think this is it. its got a clear cover
84140-26040jpg.image.200x145.jpg

Have you checked the bulbs and have you checked the harness and connectors that attach to the bulbs?

Combined the wiring diagrams to make it easier to follow. Hopefully it helps.

Fj62 Headlights.png

All new headlights and connections appear good. Have not tested relay. Not sure how to do that just yet. I have the original column controls and will try plugging it back in to see if I get lights back. The original one was intermittent for brights and labeling had worn off so I replaced
6C561C7C-D939-4FEE-94DB-4F11B080BD94.jpeg

0B374961-F9D7-49A5-91CC-87D618665278.jpeg

Got headlights working!
Wire had come loose from connector on new column switch. Wires should have been about 1” longer, must have pulled loose getting onto bracket.
thanks for the reply’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom