Headlights always on?!? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
first post on here. I bought 2 80s a month ago fixing one up for a friend who lives in Alaska (94) the other (96) will be my daily/camper.
the 94 had a toggle switch hooked up to the headlight relay and when I removed that and plugged in the relay the headlights are always on?? any suggestions

Was the toggle switch installed to solve the "headlights always on" problem, or for other reasons?

I think there was a recent thread about trying to diagnose headlights that would occasionally stay on and kill the battery. I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Do you have a copy of the Electrical Wiring Diagram? The headlights are negative-switched. Meaning that they always have 12V going to them, and the switch is on the negative side. You're going to have to disconnect components and test for continuity to ground at each stage.

Most likely the headlight retainer relay has gone kaput. It keeps the headlights on until the door is opened.

Was the toggle switch installed to solve the "headlights always on" problem, or for other reasons?

I think there was a recent thread about trying to diagnose headlights that would occasionally stay on and kill the battery. I can't seem to find it at the moment.

Do you have a copy of the Electrical Wiring Diagram? The headlights are negative-switched. Meaning that they always have 12V going to them, and the switch is on the negative side. You're going to have to disconnect components and test for continuity to ground at each stage.
I assume yes this was original owner (old school Colorado ranch truck seems he cured faults the sensible way) I'm trying to bring things back to original order...or not hacked I'm dreading testing everything hoping its A or B

Most likely the headlight retainer relay has gone kaput. It keeps the headlights on until the door is opened.
is there a good way to test this? or maybe bypass or better yet a good place to buy the part (Napa said its $400 and they can't even order it)

You need to read through the FSM to find any testing procedures and review the electrical wiring diagrams.

The headlights are negative-switched. Meaning that they always have 12V going to them, and the switch is on the negative side.
This is only true for the high beam bulbs. The low beams are positively switched and have a hard ground to the inner fenders.

is there a good way to test this? or maybe bypass or better yet a good place to buy the part (Napa said its $400 and they can't even order it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom