Headlight woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 81 fj60, with an LED headlight set. When I bought the rig, the high beams wouldn't work, and the low beams were very dim. After a bit of research here, and looking into it, I found the contacts in the switch needed cleaning. Now I have proper low beams, but still no highs. As far as I can tell, the relay only comes into play with lights turning on, and the switch does the path for high and low beam? I know the lights themselves work properly, I made a pigtail to test them directly to the battery so I could figure out what each contact did. Also, when I put the Volt meter to the plug, I get some wonkey readings. Does the dimmer switch tie into the headlight switch somehow, and my problem is there? The Haynes manual I have shows a red/white wire that connects it to the switch, as well as the headlight relay. Thanks for any input.

Attached is the schematic of the headlight wiring from the Toyota manual.
If I was in your predicament, I'd start over to rule out if anything funky is going on with the LED setup. Buy two regular ole sealed beam headlamps and plug them in — then start troubkeshooting. Maybe they'll work and the issue is the LEDs not playing nice with the 60.

Attachments

• LC HEADLIGHTS SCHEMATIC.pdf
    434.7 KB · Views: 52
Attached is the schematic of the headlight wiring from the Toyota manual.
If I was in your predicament, I'd start over to rule out if anything funky is going on with the LED setup. Buy two regular ole sealed beam headlamps and plug them in — then start troubkeshooting. Maybe they'll work and the issue is the LEDs not playing nice with the 60.
That was my initial thought, and sill need to buy one. I know after researching then they're a crappy set from Amazon, and not made here....

Also, thanks for the schematic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom