Headlight Washer Info Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for someone who has successfully brought their headlight washer from dead to fully operational. I think mine was running when I first bought the rig. Then it started leaking from the check valves. I then replaced the check valves only to discover that the washer on the left gurgles a little and the right dose not work at all. It did take me a minute to discover the goofy controls. (Turn on headlight and push the window cleaner). I still have a few questions.

Does the headlight washer only work for about 1 - 2 seconds per button push or is mine broke.

Is there a way to check the check valves to see if they are proper before installing? (I tried blowing into them with no avail)

Do you have any tips for getting the sprayers to work aside from replacing the whole system.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I did search the treads and came up with little comprehensive info on this subject. I think this will be a useful tread for many cruiser owners to come.....:cheers:

I'd be interested in this as well, considering I just found out how to turn them on (see above)
GG

im in the same boat, it's on my littel stuff list, that and re doing the hose for the reae washer. if i try to use my rear it washes the upper rear corner of my headliner :doh:.

good luck, if figure it out on accident ill post up

I just got mine working again. I cleaned out the washer bottle pretty good before i put it back in. there was alot of junk in the bottom of it that could have clogged up the pump. I replaced the one way valves and hoses and mine worked fine. actually squirts faster and harder than the windshield.

im in the same boat, it's on my littel stuff list, that and re doing the hose for the reae washer. if i try to use my rear it washes the upper rear corner of my headliner :doh:.

good luck, if figure it out on accident ill post up

I had the exact same problem. I went to homedepot and bought some clear 3/8 line cheap from the plumbing section and it works great.

As far as I know they will stay on as long as the windshield cleaner is on. I never really have them on longer than a couple seconds, so can't say for sure they should stay on indefinitely.

The problems with the check valves generally seem to be leaks. So if they're not leaking, I doubt they are the problem.

That pretty much leaves clogged lines, the pumps, or the switch/wiring.

Can you hear the pumps? If so, my guess would be the lines or squirters are all gunked up.

Thanks for the reply

I'll post some pics as I figure out whats up. I suspect that the old pump dosent have enough pressure to get by the (brand new) check valves I installed.
The pump kicks on (I can hear both). However the headlight washer stops after about 2 seconds. I guess its meant to do that.
Anyone with a working washer? Can you tell me if yours goes in short spurts or continous?
Appreciate the comments. I can get hyper focused on the little stuff and make myself crazy!:mad:

mwalls . what did you do to "thread" the new line so to speak? is there anything in the path that it would get hung up on if i just tied the new to the old and pulled the old out from the other side?

My washers will kept running as long as i have the button pushed.

mwalls . what did you do to "thread" the new line so to speak? is there anything in the path that it would get hung up on if i just tied the new to the old and pulled the old out from the other side?

mine was so dry rotted it kept breaking so i couldn't tie it on. i took out the rear vent and was able to get my hand up in there enough where i could push it across to the rear dome light and i took it out then i ran a metal coat hanger over to the hole where it comes out to the rear hatch and pulled it thru.

The headlight washer will only work if the wash button is tapped w/ headlights on. That is the signal for the relay to power the HL motor for about 2 seconds. If the button is held down, then the washer button behaves as normal and washes the windshield as long as the button is pressed.

The HL washer pump is much bigger and more powerful than a WS squirter pump. It will blast the mud off the headlights when it is working correctly.

thank yah sir. thats should help

If you can't blow through the check valves they're either stuck or you're blowing on the wrong end. I'd use low-pressure compressed air (regulated to 6-8 lb.).

Have you tried going through step by step: disconnect the hoses before the check valves & see if the pump actually works; make sure the check valves are installed correctly & leave them disconnected from the hoses to the squirters; then check from there to the nozzles - they or the lines to them could be clogged. Clean them out with a pin or needle & blow backwards through them (high pressure compressed air).

I've never had problems with my '84 60's headlight squirters but had endless ones with my '91 Audi DD's windshield washers. Seems like I had to blow out the nozzles & lines every 6 months or so, & it even had a strainer on the top of the washer reservoir to keep junk from entering the system.

Last edited:
Does anybody have a diagram of parts needed for a complete headlight washer system ? We didn't have that option here but I would like to maybe source the parts and fit one (just so I have something different to everybody else).
How effective are they at actually cleaning the headlights?

Cheers

P.S. Sorrry to hi-jack

See Jims post above, they should spray the mud off the headlights when working properly. Mine may or may not work the reservoir was too cracked to ever find out. And that is low on my list of priorities.

Cool! Mine work!!! I was trying to figure this out and with a quick search, answer! Thank you.

Do the squirter nozzles adjust? My passenger side actually squirts forward, which maybe fun to have.

...................It did take me a minute to discover the goofy controls. (Turn on headlight and push the window cleaner). I still have a few questions.

Does the headlight washer only work for about 1 - 2 seconds per button push or is mine broke.

Is there a way to check the check valves to see if they are proper before installing? (I tried blowing into them with no avail)

Do you have any tips for getting the sprayers to work aside from replacing the whole system.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I did search the treads and came up with little comprehensive info on this subject. I think this will be a useful tread for many cruiser owners to come.....:cheers:

LOL.....I had an '87 for years and never knew how to run the headlight washers. Last year I purchased the '85 and it had an owner's manual. Only then did I find out how to turn them on. It is a screwy way to wire the washer and I have half a notion to isolate the HL washer with its own switch on the dash.

As for the check valves; my HL washer tank was draining out through one of the nozzles on the valance (it was buggered a little) and mistakenly thought there was a check valve at the tank. The PO had given me another valance with good nozzles as the old valance had been butchered for a winch. I replaced it and plugged the washer lines back in and the tank quit draining.

Yes, both my 60s HL washers only come on for about two seconds at a time.

Hope this helps.

gk

I just got mine working again. I cleaned out the washer bottle pretty good before i put it back in. there was alot of junk in the bottom of it that could have clogged up the pump. I replaced the one way valves and hoses and mine worked fine. actually squirts faster and harder than the windshield.

I had the exact same problem. I went to homedepot and bought some clear 3/8 line cheap from the plumbing section and it works great.

Did you use Toyota check valves or something similar?

I'm in the market for some sort of check valves. Both of mine don't work.

I want to rig my headlight washer to spray my A/C condenser while sitting in traffic. Or maybe as a squirt gun for morons on the road :hillbilly:

Only once in six years have I used the headlight washers for their intended purpose; to blast mud off. It didn't clear up the headlights enough.

Really cool feature. Sadly I don't even have a valence with holes anymore, but I'm gonna re-purpose the assembly :)

i finally after 6 plus years of ownership bought a used check valve for 10 bucks from cruiser corp. I had one leaky one on the drivers side that would drain the reservoir in seconds. I installed it, it held fluid, tried it and it did not work. I assumed the pump had burned out over time...then i saw this post saying the lights had to be on and was shocked at the blast of fluid that comes out of those things. Crazy how all this little stuff works after 33 years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom