Headlight switch help (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1976 FJ40. Had headlights working up until last night. The switch always turned on the headlights at both the first short pull (should be just parking lights) and the long pull of the switch. This didn't really bother me so never looked into it. Then last night nothing would turn on with the either position. (except the instrument cluster lights still came on and the dimmer for the cluster still works). Then I pulled the switch out just now hoping to find something obvious. This is what I found and have no idea what is going on here. I also have a set of fog lights that are tied into the light switch with a separate button switch to turn them on/off separate from the headlights (but the headlights need to be on for the button switch to be powered). I assume this may be partially why there are a bunch of splices here, but I don't really know.
headlight1.jpg

Not sure why but if you put the red wire back on the spare terminal your lights may work again?
Yeah, That was the first thing I tried. Didn't do anything. Pulled it back off for the pic as that was how I found things.

1976 FJ40. Had headlights working up until last night. The switch always turned on the headlights at both the first short pull (should be just parking lights) and the long pull of the switch. This didn't really bother me so never looked into it. Then last night nothing would turn on with the either position. (except the instrument cluster lights still came on and the dimmer for the cluster still works). Then I pulled the switch out just now hoping to find something obvious. This is what I found and have no idea what is going on here. I also have a set of fog lights that are tied into the light switch with a separate button switch to turn them on/off separate from the headlights (but the headlights need to be on for the button switch to be powered). I assume this may be partially why there are a bunch of splices here, but I don't really know. View attachment 2053835

Hi Mark ,

you got a situation on your hands that needs to be attended to the Right Way , Right Away ...........

u will Need , One of these , one of those , 5 of them and a pair of Good Quality Ratchet Crimps ............

otherwise in the Near Future if not sooner you will have That Melted Balled up Thing on your shop floor .................

DSCN0391.JPG
DSCN0396.JPG
DSCN0397.JPG

DSCN0398.JPG

Hi Mark ,

you got a situation on your hands that needs to be attended to the Right Way , Right Away ...........

u will Need , One of these , one of those , 5 of them and a pair of Good Quality Ratchet Crimps ............

otherwise in the Near Future if not sooner you will have That Melted Balled up Thing on your shop floor .................

View attachment 2054088View attachment 2054089View attachment 2054090

View attachment 2054091
Now that is a thing of beauty! How do I go about acquiring such a connector?

Thanks @RAGINGMATT
Got the new connector for the headlight switch installed and everything is working perfectly!
Matt, I didn't get a bulb for the backlight of the switch, do you (or anyone out there) know what size that bulb is or if I can buy it somewhere locally? I searched but don't see a part number/size for it anywhere. Not a big deal, but I came this far and it would be cool to see that switch light up!
Thanks

Yeah no bulb in there. I was a little bummed at first but really not a big deal. I figured I could find one for a couple bucks at the local Napa/advanced/autozone but none of them could find it or cross reference. Thanks again!

I finalized This working prototype this past week , and RED is Official Now !

i will have several available in the Next 2 weeks ....

DSCN0735.JPG
DSCN0737.JPG
DSCN0756.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom