Headlight Lens film (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

quit throwing beer at your truck and drink it.

It would seem there is some merit there to prevent stone chips, scratches, etc...

I would say it would still incur massive damage at speed with beer cans (full)

:) Yep....oddly enough, I was on the way up YOUR way.......just outside od Douglasville. Something told me not to pull into that convenience store with the crowd.......

I tried em on a car....

Application of the film was the tough part. It seemed almost impossible to get it on without bubbles. After a few weeks, part of the film lifted and water/dirt/gunge worked it's way in. They also seemed to cut the light output down as well. The one's that I had were thick enough to fend off anything but a full 16 ouncer at 60mph, so the "protection" side of the equation was nice. The crappy looking dirt/bubble combo was not. I'd give em' a vote of :flipoff2:.

Just my 2 cents though. I'm sure someone's had better luck than I did. Personally, I'd rather be able to see the road, and replace a headlight if I destroy one. Besides that, as high as they sit, you don't get too many rocks or beer cans.

P.S. If I weren't married..... I'd love to "try out" the Weathertech chick. :D
http://www.weathertech.com/store/prodsearch.asp?item_group_id=4

Inviting eyes!

It is actually 3M Scotchcal product. baby soap water needs to be sprayed first and apply the film. Use squeegee to squeeze out all the water from center. Crystal clear. Also could be found a www.xpel.com.

[quote author=DRTDUCK link=board=2;threadid=6528;start=msg53046#msg53046 date=1066693097]
Inviting eyes!
[/quote]

Yup... Them are tailgate bendin' eye's! :D

I own a company that installs headlight and paint protection by the square yard. The Xpel/Reflex product on that site uses only a 3M adhesive (note they always mention 'adhesive' whenever they mention 3M), where the film is sourced elsewhere. We use 3M's own film, which is not as thick, stretches far better and is easier to apply. It won't take the impact of the Reflex film, but we feel it is easier to use and apply and we've not had a failure yet on our gravel strewn roads.

Whatever you use, be sure it's urethane (Reflex is) because the competing vinyl products yellow quickly. Of course, LC deals to anyone on the list..

Doug

Doug,

[Open invitation to guffawing]

Not that I would ever attempt anything like this... :D

... But would a fella be able to apply your product to the entire painted surface of the vehicle. Doors, quarter panels, fenders, hood, and maybe even the roof. I'm thinking industrial strength trail protection. An Aussie, Rob Berrill, put this stuff (or something similar) on his new 80 and left it on for several years. He said he pulled it off when his lease was up and it came off without a problem. The paint underneath was perfect, including a place where he scrapped against a tree. He said you couldn't even tell if was on the truck.

Feasibility?
Cost?

[/Open invitation to guffawing]

-B-

Actually, we've put this stuff about everywhere on the exterior you can name and it lives up to that reputation. As an example, we lined the lower doors and rocker panel of a truck for $350, so to continue on up the sides to the window sill would be approximately double that. Add another couple hundred for various small surfaces (leading edges of wheel lips, mirrors, A pillars, etc) and we'd still be under a grand. I've heard of a new Corvette in Denver being completely covered for $7500.

One of our customers attended his kid's baseball game the day after his new Tundra was delivered. Yep, you guessed it. A ball sailed over the fence and hit the "clear bra" we'd installed at an oblique angle hard enough to leave red streaks from the threads. He called us and we instructed him to use ordinary car wax, which cleaned it up completely. Great stuff. As with anything, it's all in the installation skill and care, however.

Doug

Doug,

The Wulf wants that stuff SO BAD I can hear him mumbling from here. :flipoff2:

Maybe you could fix him up with a pre-cut kit. :rolleyes:

D- :banana:

>> The Wulf wants that stuff SO BAD I can hear him mumbling from here. <<

You guys know me too well. This item has been added to the project list and if you keep teasing me about it, I'll move it in front of the Super Charger that I want so bad I can taste it.

The shrink wrap worked great. Asthetically, it left a little to be desired. Robbie said it looked like a used condom. :'(

-B-

True, BUT, it did work. :D

NOTE,

He did look a bit ODD driving down I25 on the way to the trailhead...... :rolleyes:

D-

He left town after the main group and was on the radio as he approached saying "OK, nobody laugh......no laughing........no smart a$$ comments....."

Then this Shrink-wrapped pallet on wheel goes blowing past me, billowing in the wind..........

>> billowing in the wind.......... <<

Writer's embellishment.
-B-

I used stoneguard's kit on the entire front end of a porsche I used to own. The original paint job on the nose was trashed after some track use and I had the car repainted and the kit installed. Never had another chip or even a nick in any areas that the kit covered. I put the car in several shows as well and people just did not pick up on anything being there unless they knew I had it or were looking for it. I will be getting the headlight protection as I've put that off far too long. My 470 came with a broken headlight so I know they are succeptible to rocks and are not cheap to fix. I was quoted $80 by a pro installer for the x-pel film parts and labor. I am leaning towards the weathertech route and save few bucks though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom