Headlight issues related to housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I just recently swapped out my halogen low beams for some Diode Dynamics SL1 bulbs to give them a try. Both re-index on the collar to keep the fan pointed down. Not sold on them yet as I am experiencing some issues.

1) Horrible RF interference - Basically can't use the FM radio. Going to install the Slee offroad hefty wire lighting kit soon to see if I can isolate / get rid of this. Not sure if it will help, or if it is more indirect EMI.
2) Both of my headlight housing are Toyota brand, however, the drivers sides interior looks significantly less "shiny" without the light on, the reflector looking almost hazy. I believe that this has resulted in the light looking much brighter to the eye, but having a crappy dispersal pattern on a wall. Passenger side headlight looks super shiny inside, (without light on), appears less bright to the eye when on, BUT has a much better pattern on a wall. I know that the drivers side was in an accident at some point so maybe a factor of parts changing over time?
PXL_20230505_122507457.MP.jpg

PXL_20230505_122503471.MP.jpg

PXL_20230504_232039602.MP.jpg

PXL_20230504_231233077.MP.jpg

3) My headlight adjustment screws appear to be way out of whack, anyone know what is up with them. Turning them does nothing. Below is the passengers side while the driver side has the plastic arm all the way at the top of the bolt.
PXL_20230504_231242648.MP.jpg

4). Sheared a bold on the upper right hand side bracket of the top most tiny front radiator. Does anyone have a part number for the bracket?

Thanks!

Upsize the ground cable from the engine block to the body, at the firewall, to get rid of the interference.

The adjustment screws easily strip out if they are adjusted to the end of travel and you torque them past it. I learned this because I did it to my depo housings. If I remember correctly I took the adjusters off my oem lights and swapped them onto the depos after that. So pretty sure they can be replaced.

Also regarding the pattern, you'll need to fine-tune how the bulbs are oriented in the housing. You'll need to rotate them in minor adjustments testing each orientation in the housing. You should find an orientation that provides a decent cuttoff.

That said LED replacement headlight bulbs will never have as clean of a cutoff as the factory halogen. It's because the reflector was designed around the exact light emitting focal point of the halogen bulb, which emits in 360° from the filament. LED headlight makers do their best to replicate the location of this focal point with their bulbs but since the LED wafers only emit light in 180° pattern, they have to put two back to back which means they physically cannot be in the same location as the halogen filament. The best LED bulbs have a super thin board between the LED wafers which minimizes this problem. The thicker the board between the LEDs usually equals a worse pattern.

Also each LED wafer does not emit the same intensity of light at the edge of its 180° emission angle, a halogen filament emits the same intensity in all directions 360°, what this means is LED bulbs generally produce hotspots in the light output. Some are better than others.

So in the end, you will need to fine-tune the adjustment to get it to be the best it can be, which still might be just meh. If I were to go back and do it again I'd just nut up and spend the money to do a HID projector retrofit in Depo housings like this HID retrofit how to - Depos and morimoto mini d2s projectors

I don't do LEDs in reflector housings. It's tempting, but not the best choice. For the reasons mentioned above. Now, the HID projector retrofit is sick.

Basically can't use the FM radio.

What's an FM radio?

Haha, jk. But really who listens to fm radio anymore..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom