Headlight issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my headlights quit!! When I turn them on the relay buzzes but no lights,tried new relay,same problem.when I turn parking lights on they work but both signal indicator on dash light up also.???

1. check the fuse
1b. check your fusible link
2. do any lights come on if you pull the stalk towards use (flash function)?
3. both low and high dont work?
4. did they work one day and not the next?
5. what is your running voltage?

6. with the basics out of the way and assuming your bulbs are all good....

a) turn the key to on

b) use a voltmeter to measure dc volts from the high beam headlight connector to ground. You should see 12v on one of the terminals with the high beams switched to the on position. you can repeat this with the low beams as well.
c) If you have no voltage then check for voltage at the fuse.....and check at the relay.

d) if you have voltage at the lights then its time to check for ground at the remaining headlight connector terminals. Use the continuity function on the voltmeter and listen for the beep to verify you have ground. If no beep then its likely you have a bad ground wire or a switch problem.

1619623696664.png

1619623766522.png

Last edited:
Yes just noticed the other day? Have no headlights,with engine off if you pull to get high beams.dash lights up( high beam light and both signal indicator). Also relay starts buzzing. I will do the tests you suggest and come back.thsnks.

If the relay is buzzing its usually a sign that the relay is not getting enough power to trigger properly. The only noise the relay should make is one solid click when the lights are turned on. I would check the power to the relay and any grounds. Also check that the connections to the relay are tight. Verify that the incoming power is the same as or close to the charging/battery power.

Check behind the dash for a burnt grounding junction. It's tucked behind a big wire bundle and has a bunch of wires terminating in the connector. Usually its identified by an orange cap.
Look for burnt or melting insulation.

Was there any resolution on this? I have (had) the exact same issue, except it also affected my wiper fluid button and the vent controls, none of them were working. I checked fuses, the relay, power at the headlamps...everything was fine but couldnt find the source of the problem. Then everything magically started working again while I was working on the radiator. No idea how it started working again and am just waiting for it to come back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom