Headlight/instrument cluster light intermittent cut-out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I’m having a couple problems with my headlights and instrument cluster lights in my 1982 FJ60.

First problem: instrument cluster lights sometimes don’t come on when headlights are turned on. Usually I can turn the lights off and then on again and it’ll remedy the problem.

Second problem: while driving with my headlights on, they sometimes cut out when I hit a bump. When they cut out, the high beam light on the dash will come on for a second. Then I’ll have to toggle the high beams on and return it to the running light position and they’ll come back on.

I’m thinkng either a faulty ground or a new headlight switch may be in order. Just thought I’d check to see if anyone else had experienced this issue and make sure I’m headed down the right path.

Thanks!!

Sounds like wiring to me seeing as a bump will affect them. Get cozy w/ a multimeter and start testing. I loath electrical stuff but there are a bunch here who could walk you through.

Try cleaning the contacts (inside the clamshell on the steering column), at the base of the stalk that controls lights. Also disconnect the neg. cable from battery prior to doing any electrical work.
HTH

Check for excessive heat build up in the terminal connector attached to the bottom of the column.

I didn’t feel any excessive heat buildup. It almost seems like the front to back action of the lever is loose causing it to fall in between high and low beam function periodically. Is there any good way to tighten or adjust this?

Yeah typical stalk rebuild in order... this has been documented...

Ok i didn’t realize this was a common problem....I should have searched it, thanks!

Just as an update, culprit was bad wiring from the previous owner. They pulled the lead for the headlights out of the loom and bypassed the main connector under the steering column using a butt connector. I imagine they were chasing down the problem with worn contacts in the headlight switch. I repaired the harness by re-soldering the wires and cleaning the brass contacts inside the headlight switch. Good as new.

Interesting...
Having a similar problem and believe that it has to do with my "panel" that built that is used to run a few items when lights come on. I think I may have shorted something somewhere, all fuses that are related are good (tested good) and did not find any burnt connectors or excessive heat anywhere.
Headlights (and brights), Heater, Radio, Turn Signals, Hazards, all still work just fine. It is just the dash lights. When the dash lights come on I have it "relayed" so that when lights come on then my butt warmers are allowed to come on. These are dead along with the dash lights.

Sorry to awaken an old thread of mine but I like to update when I resolve issues, that way anyone in the future experiencing similar issues can get some ideas of places to start looking.

Yesterday I found that it wasn’t only my gauge lights that weren’t functioning...but also all of my “parking” lights. Headlights worked fine. Swapped out the tail light relay and everything came back. I guess my relay was intermittently failing. Easy swap and my FLAPS had the relay in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom