Headlight Door PITA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went to pull my headlight doors a couple days ago for the blackout "mod". Some POS PO used long bolts with nuts to attach the headlight door. So as soon as you back it out 1/2 turn, the nut just spins. What a PITA! squeezing my hands in i was able to hold the nut while backing it out.

How is it supposed to be secured? is there supposed to be a plastic pop in insert that a screw goes into - holding the door firm? I looked a bit on $OR, but doesn't show enough detail. Any of you have a pic on how it's supposed to be held? Any other solution?

I want it right, so i can pull the headlight door w/o scraping the crap outta my big mitts. TIA.

rob

There are supposed to be small square plastic inserts (they are yellow on my 87 fj60) that hold the screws fast. Probably cheap as hell at any dealership.

they look like the same inserts that go on american cars for the license plate to bolt on....just get some of those.

our local Ace hardware has all sorts of those fitting pieces.

I just did the blackout on mine this weekend, and damn, I wish I had done it sooner. The PO of my 87' was some kind of genius. The headlight doors and grill didnt have one matching screw on the whole truck. I dug through my parts bucket and found some other plastic inserts, then got some #10 sheet metal screws and replaced everything.Not only did this make me much happier, but it got rid of several annoying rattles.

Hodag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom