Headlight Bulbs Keep Burning Out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 91 FJ80 with the SLEE headlight upgrade harness powering the headlight bulbs in the stock housings. I originally installed the harness to pair with some 9011/9012 bulbs that would have a higher lumen rating but same wattage and lower lifespan. I kept burning through those at random intervals that were way too short for headlight bulbs (2-6 months, sometimes one right after the other) so I just switched the low beams back to Sylvania 9006 bulbs thinking the fancy German 9012 bulbs were the issue. I got my car back from a body shop a month ago and at some point while there, one of the Sylvania 9006 bulbs went out after just 3 months. Should I blame the harness? Or some other electrical/wiring issue that I need to look into? I never touch the glass of the bulbs with my bare hands. The original fancy 9011 high beams i put in 3 years ago are still going strong and bright as hell for halogens but that's to be expected from high beam bulbs.

P.S. I guess I should note that i'm not certain it's the bulb that's dead this time around as I havent dug it out of the housing (it's the driver's side. PITA to get to) and it could be something damaged or assembled incorrectly by the body shop as they did have all the front panels off. But based on my experience with headlight bulbs on this thing so far, i'm wondering if there's something obvious i'm overlooking.

Wow... quick update. With the upgrade harness, there are a new set of fuses for the high beam/low beam relays. Those are fine, but something is causing the fuse for the factory wiring in the Toyota under hood fuse box to blow the fuse for the LH headlight. Guess i have to dig into that.

1st thing I would do is to replace the relay or relays supplied in the Slee harness.

Not with a Slee harness but when I had the same issue with short lasting bulbs it was the relays. Corrosion inside the relays that you can’t see until you cut them open for a look see.

Last edited:
Issue ended up being that body shop plugged DS headlight bulb into the factory headlight wiring instead of the connector on the aftermarket harness. Caused a dead short with the way the harness is set up. All works now, hopefully these bulbs don't kick the bucket prematurely but I'll look at the relays if they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom