Headlamps on 24V Vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The headlamp circuit on my BJ 46 is 24v, everything in the car is 24v . Almost all of them have some sort of 12v converter in the Glove Box and it runs the radio.
On my HDJ81 it had a 24V Starter circuit with 12v Headlights. What it did was when you cranked it a relay would join the two batteries for crank and then after it would drop out so it was back to 12V

The headlamp circuit on my BJ 46 is 24v, everything in the car is 24v . Almost all of them have some sort of 12v converter in the Glove Box and it runs the radio.
On my HDJ81 it had a 24V Starter circuit with 12v Headlights. What it did was when you cranked it a relay would join the two batteries for crank and then after it would drop out so it was back to 12V
So the answer is, it depends on the specific model?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but my 1988 BJ74 24V has 12V headlamps. I know my friends
BJ74 has 12V headlamps.

Unless they have been changed by a PO:

Canadian Spec 24V trucks (HJ60, BJ40, BJ42 BJ70 (except the 1985 BJ70 which was 12V) were required to have 12V headlights in Canada, hence the evil center tap system was born.

AFAIK, 24V JDM vehicles such as the BJ74 and HJ61 came out of the factory with 24V headlights.

Not 100% about 24V world market LandCruisers, but I believe the evil center tap was just a Canadian thing.

hth's
gb

Unless they have been changed by a PO:

Canadian Spec 24V trucks (HJ60, BJ40, BJ42 BJ70 (except the 1985 BJ70 which was 12V) were required to have 12V headlights in Canada, hence the evil center tap system was born.

AFAIK, 24V JDM vehicles such as the BJ74 and HJ61 came out of the factory with 24V headlights.

Not 100% about 24V world market LandCruisers, but I believe the evil center tap was just a Canadian thing.

hth's
gb
That's very informative. Didn't know that Canadian spec is different from world market.

Both my JDM PZJ70 and HZJ77 have 24V headlamps (and fog lights).

European diesel 60 and 70 from the 80's have 24V.

Yes, 24v and if you need light bulbs just find a guy that repairs wheelchairs, and stay away from dash led as it does not remove moisture like a glow bulb heating up does.
Also, which politically correct idiot decided to force 12v in a 24v system?

I actually don't mind being able to get replacement headlights in every single automotive store in North America.

Only real downside is that you can upset your battery balance if one of your headlights blows and you don't notice for a while.

Pretty hard not to notice though unless you are only driving during the day.

Most of the new LED head light kits can accept either 12V or 24V. If you put out the $$ for a good LED bulb like the Philips ones for example, you won't be disappointed. My LJ78 uses H4 bulbs....

My Euro spec HJ61 has 24V headlights. I replaced the factory with JW SPeaker LEDs and they are the bomb!

Dumb question - I have a JDM HJ 24v and keep burning out my headlamps. I’m wondering if it’s a wiring issue or the 12v lamps are not fitted for this.

Japanese trucks like Isuzu Mitsubishi and Hino all use 24 v and the headlights look the same as a landcruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom