Heading out to drive this Tx Hill Country tour (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few weeks back several folks posted about a trip around Mason, Tx they took.

I've been wanting to take my family out and had another trip saved. I'm going to follow the GPS route from the other group. I'm driving in from Louisiana the morning of March 1st and catching the LSU vs UT baseball game (assuming I can get tickets).

I plan on driving the route on Saturday. Then we'll probably drive east a bit to shorten our trip home on Sunday the 3rd (happens to be my birthday).

Anyone is welcome to tag along and as I'm a bit of a Newby it'd actually be a welcomed sight.

Any interest?

Post on our Austin clubhouse page, I'm sure you will get some takers there.

A few weeks back several folks posted about a trip around Mason, Tx they took.

I've been wanting to take my family out and had another trip saved. I'm going to follow the GPS route from the other group.

I'll tag along :) I was the one who led the group last month. I can't remember, did I send you the GPX file for the full loop?

I've two south files and one north file.
How long does the drive typically take?

The full loop is 140ish miles. You'd be looking at 5 hours if you don't stop along the way. I usually budget 6-7 total hours including a stop in Mason for BBQ and several stops along the way to take in the scenery. Those times are just "trail" time. It still takes me about 1.25 hours to get out to Llano and 1.25 back.

geanes, would you mind sending me the gps coordinates as well? I was really impressed with the pictures you posted and want to plan a trip with fellow offroaders (jeep and disco buddies). Llano is a little hike from Houston but we may be in the area late April. If I can get a hall pass from the wife for March 1st, I may tag along on this drive too. Any issues with bringing a fully stock LC (no AHC) on the trails?

geanes, would you mind sending me the gps coordinates as well? I was really impressed with the pictures you posted and want to plan a trip with fellow offroaders (jeep and disco buddies). Llano is a little hike from Houston but we may be in the area late April. If I can get a hall pass from the wife for March 1st, I may tag along on this drive too. Any issues with bringing a fully stock LC (no AHC) on the trails?

I'll be in a stock 02 LC. Planning on doing the ride on March 2nd...a Saturday.

Sorry, got the date wrong. I meant to say the 2nd. Glad to hear someone else in a stock LC will be giving it a try. Pics made the trails seem relatively easy to navigate.

Sorry, got the date wrong. I meant to say the 2nd. Glad to hear someone else in a stock LC will be giving it a try. Pics made the trails seem relatively easy to navigate.
From what I was able to gather they aren't too difficult and didn't require anything special. It was more of a scenic off-road drive.

They are just gravel roads. Stock rigs would handle these with absolutely no issues. The Tundra that went with us was 2WD. Nothing challenging about the track, just scenic and nice to get off the pavement and away from cars :)

Yes! I just bought my tickets to the LSU/UT game. I'll be there unless the weather is such that it is unsafe to cross water.

Oh nice, March 2nd. I don't know why I was thinking it was going to be this weekend. That's why I was unsure, if it's March 2nd I can for sure! Count me and the pup in.

Also @fblainen11. The fishing will be on-point in early March as long as the water level isn't out of whack. Throw a rod in!

What do you guys typically do for communication?
  1. Some sort of radio
  2. Cell phones
  3. yell or wave out the window
  4. we don't communicate

I have a CB that I have not installed yet and it's been sitting in my shop for 2 years. Is this something I should try to get done before this trip?

What do you guys typically do for communication?
  1. Some sort of radio
  2. Cell phones
  3. yell or wave out the window
  4. we don't communicate
I have a CB that I have not installed yet and it's been sitting in my shop for 2 years. Is this something I should try to get done before this trip?

I will probably hook up my CB because it's fun and I don't get to use it much. The less I can look at my cell phone the better. (Also, cell coverage out there is going to be VERY hit or miss.

That's what I figured. I'm gonna get the hood/fender mount for my antenna. We won't need much range and there doesn't appear to be too much brush hanging over the path.

CB is all you need. Most of the route has adequate cell coverage. But, there is 0 coverage the entire length of James River Road and most of Salt Branch. I just use a magnet mount antenna from Wally World and have been happy with the range and quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom