Headgasket: to replace or walk: any plus side? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The other thing to consider is that if you can actually get the $500, I think you will be doing o.k. considering the situation. I don't know about in Canada but here in the U.S. a verbal promise is superseded by the AS-IS window sticker that a buyer must sign when they purchase a used vehicle with no warranty expressed or implied. The one here in Nevada even has a clause that states verbal promises are non-binding and anything spoken must be put to paper or it's meaningless in a court of law. I think if you did take this to court, the judge would ask how many miles on the vehicle and think it would be absurd that there would be any repercussions after the sale. The seller could easily say (since we know he's a liar anyway) that he "thought" the head gasket had been done or just deny it outright and then it's your word against his, then it goes back to what is in writing, and if it isn't in writing well, you might be out court costs and not even get your $500.

Take the money and be done with it. And if you do the job yourself (if it ever even needs to be done while you own it, you aren't to that point yet from what you described) then buy gasket, some coolant, and a few extra hoses and you could do the job yourself for under $500 even getting the head resurfaced if needed. If it specs you could be under $350-$400.

this is getting funny, 500$ to do a headgasket in a fzj80, thats funny, the head gasket kit alone is 230$ if you get a deal... surface and redo the head is another 200$+ and considering its at least 8hrs labor if you are good, his mechanic is working real cheep...

back to where I was get it baselined by a good shop and send him a copy of the report, and what it needs.. and if you get anything out of him consider your self lucky....

I always tell people budget at least a 1k dollars to baseline, and if you don't work on them yourself budget another 1k $ for labor.. most people arn't cruiser heads and dont eat sleep and breath cruisers... so the little stuff gets missed.

Ok, good advice guys.
I'm assuming there is no chance there was a recall, as now the Lot Owner isn't answering my calls.

keep you posted.
thanks a lot for your time and consideration.

i think if i do get to keep it. first thing will be to mod the temp gauge, or get an after-market temp sensor. and 2nd, baby it.
today, just to feel better im going to grease up the Birfs.

Ok, good advice guys.
I'm assuming there is no chance there was a recall, as now the Lot Owner isn't answering my calls.

keep you posted.
thanks a lot for your time and consideration.

i think if i do get to keep it. first thing will be to mod the temp gauge, or get an after-market temp sensor. and 2nd, baby it.
today, just to feel better im going to grease up the Birfs.

Temp gauge mod = outhouse
Ultragauge = indoor plumbing
Just saying, I know which one I would want if I really, really needed a solution:flush:

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Ok - this has gone long enough. :)

Forget the crooked used car guy for a moment.

Instead, pretend you are a 80-series LC owner, and then read this:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/im...till-overheating-despite-best-efforts.813023/

Read it from the beginning, all the way - there's gonna be a test, better read & memorize all pages....

Just kidding, there's no test, but this is sort of an aptitude check... :)
If, after all this, you still feel like you're up for 80-series ownership, then, well, you're either crazy, or very well suited to own and worship one of these vehicles.

P.S. My qualifications to post this are that I co-own two of these, but I'm not married to either one of them...

Update:
for people in BC, the Vehicle Sales Authority of British Columbia (VSA) is the place to go to with any serious used car sales complaints,
www.vehiclesalesauthority.com
- they license the used car guys, so they actually have some pull.

- in the end, thanks to my case officer, the Used sales man is sending me a cheque for $300 bucks, which is better than nothing.
feels good to finally have that behind me.

so far,
the ERG code has not come back since I took out the cotton filters and cleaned the carbon off using paint thinner, and checking all the vac lines: one was loose..
i'm still adding, re-adding grease to the birfs. plus i've lubed the drive-train. they click when turning with throttle.
i fixed the alarm from sounding out when opening the doors and auto locking the doors, by adjusting the settings under the driver's seat.
ABS fuse is removed, as I haven't started pulling sensors, and i get the slow speed breaking brake pulsing...
... also, cleaned both diff breathers, and they were really plugged up - my mechanic friend said this was the first thing i should check; good advice.

i'm content; the heater works, and looks like the heater core is fine.. which is a first for any vehicle i've owned;
plus, the high beams are incredibly bright - bonus!
. so thanks to the forum for the all-mighty search function and thank you all for helping me thru this ...

:worms: :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom