Headers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the stereo typical ticking when the exhaust manifold has a crack in it what is the consensus on the best replacement headers today? Is everyone still going with Doug Thorley? I have also seen some threads for pacemaker headers but seems they may only be for right hand drive vehicles. It’s a daily driver so not looking for anything extreme just if I have to replace them anyways might as well pull a couple ponies out.

I feel your pain on the tick as I had it on my 00 Tundra and replaced it with JBAs. I find it odd that JBAs can't be used on the LC, as it's the same 4.7 as my 99 LC. No issues with my JBAs in the 5 years. I've heard good things about Thorley, but have no direct experience.

I have the same ticking sound on the hard side (driver side) but it goes away after a minute or two. I'm leaving them like that until the tick doesn't go away. I'm in CA so I won't even bother with the DT headers. I'll use OEM parts with all new studs when the time comes.

Make sure tick is not spark plugs.

Your stereo volume control won't work?

Recently installed new plugs and coils but I'll check them again to make sure. Ticking goes away after warm and it sure sounds and feel like exhaust manifold v plugs.

Both exhaust manifold leak and loose spark plug sound about the same. When the sound (tick) stops after warm-up, we don't worry about the exhaust leak then. But the plugs are still of concern. They will keep walking out. They can then blow out the head, taken threads with them.

I use a digital torque wrench on new spark plugs. I've notice at ~17ft-lbf, they slip (torqued drops). I then keep torquing until I get to 18ft-lbf, which feels tight and slippage stops. I do not know, if 18ft-lbf, which if 5ft-lbf above FSM rec, will hold better. But my hope is they do. Regardless I like changing at 90K miles with timing belt. At 90K miles they are loose, but not dangerously so.

Exhaust leak is very common in earlier years. IIRC seem to be mid 02 back. I just R&R with new OEM Ex. manifold. I've only seen 1 new OEM recrack, Slee said they never have. It may have been old stock. It may have been reported replace and not done.

Here a set from yesterday. They are factories with 129K miles on them in an 06LX. The coils with brown boots where the loosest spark plugs. Each I could hand tighten about a 1/4 turn easily. Others were only hand tight but I could not tighten, so still snug. Sound much like exhaust leak on start-up.

IMG_9420.JPEG

Recently installed new plugs and coils but I'll check them again to make sure. Ticking goes away after warm and it sure sounds and feel like exhaust manifold v plugs.
In this case if torque wrenches used. I'd pressurized exhaust system with air. Then spray soapy water on every inch of exhaust header. Tricky part is set each cylinder you're srparing with valves closed. You'll see soap bubbles.

Coils and plugs (all denso) were done about 1k ago. Hand tightened (tight), but I'll check that. If still tight I'll order the new OEM exhaust manifold. My local mech said the aftermarket headers don't do a lot and I'd be better off replacing oem manifold and doing a cat back system for better breathing.

In this case if torque wrenches used. I'd pressurized exhaust system with air. Then spray soapy water on every inch of exhaust header. Tricky part is set each cylinder you're srparing with valves closed. You'll see soap bubbles.
When removing plugs, do you spray in and penetrating fluid or take other precautions when removing? I want to do mine as I recently picked up a 99 and don't know when the prior owner last changes the plugs. when I did my tundra last summer, the plugs were quite stiff to remove.

When removing plugs, do you spray in and penetrating fluid or take other precautions when removing? I want to do mine as I recently picked up a 99 and don't know when the prior owner last changes the plugs. when I did my tundra last summer, the plugs were quite stiff to remove.
No chemicals at all, super easy job. I think there are a couple write ups but it’s pretty easy and self explanatory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom