Headers in Diesel engines .. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Threads
Website
www.4x4panama.com
Hi all CruiserHeads ..

I'm just curios and I'm read a lots in internet about the headers .. but in any place I can found information about. And is interant to know if this feature can be aplied on a Diesel engine.

I have a 2H engine, running good with some extra diesel amount in the chamber, maybe a headers is a good idea.

thanks for all .. :D

headers are only useful at higher rpms, they actually kill torque at lower rpms...
probably this is why you do not see much for a header for diesels...
larger exhaust works to get rid of the heated exhaust and drop the egts...

Maybe I can buy ( where . ? ) a header to my 2H engine, to do that, drop the EGT, and in my case the torque was compensate by my lower gearing ..

crushers said:
headers are only useful at higher rpms, they actually kill torque at lower rpms...
probably this is why you do not see much for a header for diesels...
larger exhaust works to get rid of the heated exhaust and drop the egts...

I would normally agree but others are getting great results on the dyno.

http://www.4wdaustralia.com.au/Forum/Archive/2005_3/23189.asp

My local fuel injection shop promises a gain 6HP with no loss of torque anywhere.

Tapage said:
Maybe I can buy ( where . ? ) a header to my 2H engine, to do that, drop the EGT, and in my case the torque was compensate by my lower gearing ..

Aussies nearly always use Genie Pacemakers although Ive only ever used them on a V8 gasser many years ago.
Heres another thread of mixed results on the 2H

http://www.4wdaustralia.com.au/Forum/Archive/2004_2/11967.asp

Where can I get a set of those????

I have run a 3" mandrel bend exhaust,headers and special muffler(cant remember what) for about 15yrs just built a new exhaust but anyway the whole system was designed by a bloke who asked if I wanted to test it.It works great whether its in the head or on the road I don't know.An exhaust company bought his design and I never head another thing.Incidently he tried with the Hilux(mini truck) but coulded get a suitable result.I wish I had the test results he did.It sounds good anyway

roscoFJ73 said:
Aussies nearly always use Genie Pacemakers although Ive only ever used them on a V8 gasser many years ago.

this is what i am getting from those articals. they ran the extractors AND oversize exhaust, i might have missed it but i did not see any tests with stock exhaust with the extractors which would be the true test of increased performance. i have seen simular resualts just using larger exhaust and stock manifolds...

Last edited:
Would we all agree that if you are running a turbo on a diesel that a larger exhaust will help keep the EGT's from building up (all else equal that is).

I know that on my first AXT turbo kit, they told me I needed to increase the exhaust pipe size or I would have problems with heat.

Cheers,

Michael

tlcruiserman said:
Would we all agree that if you are running a turbo on a diesel that a larger exhaust will help keep the EGT's from building up (all else equal that is).

I know that on my first AXT turbo kit, they told me I needed to increase the exhaust pipe size or I would have problems with heat.

Cheers,

Michael

In my HJ-60 the stock exahust pipe is 2" and the only modification that I have in it, is the glass pack from dynomax, 2" off course.

AXT recomended increase the exahust diameter to 2.5" .. or 3" .. ?

roscoFJ73 said:

what is an extractor .. ?

I'm do anything that I can do for better performance on my HJ-60 in gearing issues .. but my 2H engine is basic the same thing .. 105 HP

I have already safari snorkel, K&N but in my concept are no diferent, or not noticiable. When I put the 2" glas pack , have a fasted increase on rpm, but basic the same power ..

Extractors is Australian for Headers.

Same thing.

Be careful extrapolating other's gas engine experience to diesels. Even with gassers headers can be made to work with low rpm's with proper sizing of primary tubes.

Dave

the gassers do not respond to headers at low rpms as well as stock manifolds.

the question that begs an answer is:
has anyone tried using the stock exhaust system with a set of extractors? if so what was the results...?

Isnt it kind of accedemic anyways. If you buy a Safari systems turbo kit for a 1HZ you get a split pulse exhaust manifold (theirs) with the kit.

So you just wasted money on a set of extractors.

Last edited:
HZJ60 Guy said:
Extractors is Australian for Headers.

Same thing.

thanks ..

I ask a quote from AXT turbo, and the kit right now cost about 3000 USD in my hand. Is to much money to me, for a turbo Kit.

I can buy new one, from some old shop here is for 3B engine KKK, and adapt it ( if I can ) to my 2H engine, but pay 3000 USD for a kit .. I don't care.

My 2H has aftermarket headers, that were installed in Australia, but I don't know what brand, or if they made an improvement since they were on there when I purshased the vehicle. I am fairly happy with the performance of my cruiser, and don't plan on adding a turbo anytime soon.

headers.jpg

Dude .. !!!! incredible pic .. !!! did you have other ones of the entire header . ? pleaseeeee ..

I'm not sure but look like the configuration has 6 - 3 - 1 .. ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom