Header tape? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently built me an "aftermarket" CAT for my FJ60. Essentially, I removed the CAT, cut off the flanges with a chop saw, and had someone weld a pipe to the dimensions needed (19 9/16 inches). That got rid of one bottle neck, but it is much louder. Sounds sort of like a school bus; I have a Toyota OEM muffler/tail pipe. I did not realize how much muffling the CAT did! What do you think a wrap of header tape would do to reduce sound? Is there a Dynomat for mufflers?

don't use the tape

header tape is a bad idea in this instance. its purpose is to keep heat in the exhaust and out of the engine compartment. a side effect is that depending on the material of your header (exhaust component) so much heat is kept in that the material starts to corrode earlier. Additionally, it's a great place for salt/sand/crap to hide.

my opinion: weld in a separate baffle before your muffler.

my $0.02

uberhahn

Thanks

A guy at the auto parts store mentioned that there are some small, straight through resonators that I might could have welded in there where the CAT was. Do you think that would work?

or cherry bomb in the place of a cat (about same length) i guess you could call a cherry bomb a "muffler"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom