Header replacement 78 FJ40. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has been addressed in the past. But it appears we need an update on this, and I need MUD's expertise.

I will replacing a very old header that has a major hole in it.
I recently bought my 40 back from I guy I sold it to 5 months ago.
It came back to me with a SOR 2 piece Header.

Please school me on your experience regarding swapping in a Header, gasket recommendations and any PEARLS OF ADVISE on this job.

I will be posting pics of the process.

BTW my 2F has a Howell EFI. I will have to re-mount and weld in a new 02 bung for the sensor.

Thanks,
Paul

i had a sor two pcs on my 60series sometime ago. fitment was no issue, flange thickness was close enough. tube material was on thin side as i had opted for the upgraded coating on them, and they still didn't last that long.

fel-pro gaskets all week long and twice on sunday.

I run a Downey ceramic header that is going on 18 years and still running strong with no leaks. It is one of the best non-OEM mods I've installed. With a 2.5" exhaust (also Downey) it really woke up my 2F.

I think there is a Mud vendor that sells a remake of the Downey header, hit the search or maybe they will chime in.

IMG_1795.JPG

Any steel header make sure you ceramic coat it first if you live in an area of rusty things ... or you will be replacing it every 5-7 years

I got the SS header that sor offered a while back ... never had to worry about replacing the header again

Yes, Mark (65swb45) will be the one to reproduce the Downey Header if he can ever work out a fresh/decent deal with the bender ???. I don't care what gasket you use, the secret to sealing the Header has always been a thick coating of Copper Coat on all four surfaces (Head, Header, both sides of gasket). Then I'd tighten until you think the nuts are going to strip.

My SOR header is SS. Thanks for info on the gasket. Sounds like Fel-pro is the way to go.
Need advice on specifics regarding removing the intake manifold.
thanks,
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom