header noise

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by surf40, Aug 2, 2005.

1. surf40

surf40 SILVER Star

Just had my 772f rebuilt and am hearing a knock at high rpm or is it rumble from header? carb and intake are good and motor runs great. Only have 200 miles on rebuild hopefully I am overeacting and am not used to header sound. thanks for any input.

2. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

I would guess it depends on what you consider to be "high" as far as rpms are concerned. Most 2f's don't like to go past 4 grand. And my header doesn't make any knocking noises. But most headers allow you to hear the exhaust pulses a lot more clearly. But at high rpm you shouldn't really be able to hear that. I once had a knocking noise that appeared under load at higher rpms. It was my balancer about to fall off. Didn't realize it until I went to change the belt.

3. surf40

surf40 SILVER Star

thanks for input ken, I think a rod is knocking and am going to drive a little bit longer, than back to shop for oil change, but it looks like motor will be out again. bummed about spending almost $4k on this rebuild, hopefully they'll take care of it. jeremy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.