Header installed, now truck won't run! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rutherfoto.com
So I have a problem. I've just installed a man-a-fre 6-1 header, and after re-assembly, the truck won't stay running.

As per the instructions of man-a-fre, I've removed the EGR cooler, and part of the EGR related mess that attaches to the Intake manifold. I suspect this may have something to do with it.

There is a plastic cylinder unit that has 3 vaccum lines attached to it. 2 of the 3 vaccum lines onece attached to the section of EGR that I took out. Should i remove this unit, or just plug the ends?

As of now, the truck will turn over and catch, but will not stay running. :doh:

Anyhow, any suggestions would be apreciated!

Thanks

JR

The plastic thing is the EGR modulator. Without an EGR valve, you don't need the modulator. Pull it and plug the vac lines. AS for the not running problem... I'll bet you have a major vac leak somewhere. Try putting a vac gauge on the manifold.

Take some pics and post it up here...I'm not sure if you are comin from a stock manifold and is it desmogged? There are some holes in the engine to plug if you have it desmogged it...but without pics it's hard to tell.

CruisinTiger said:
Take some pics and post it up here...I'm not sure if you are comin from a stock manifold and is it desmogged? There are some holes in the engine to plug if you have it desmogged it...but without pics it's hard to tell.

I agree, I tried to RE: to this one early this morning but really wanted to know if the truck was desmogged and more. It sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere, even the intake manifold/header may not be torqued down right.

When you reinstalled the carb, did you remember to pluig in the idle solenoid. I know I've done this a couple times after putting the carb back on. It's always the most obvious piece you forget.

R

I got it running!

I had a few peoblems including some vaccum lines that needed to be plugged, as well as a bad carb gasket. I replaced the carb gasket, and plugged the vaccum lines where part of the EGR was removed.

I love the 6-1 header...it definetly added some power!~

Thanks for the suggestions.

JR

boston,

did you have to have the new headers shaved to match the intake manif? i keep putting off headers becuase some mention that they usually need to be machined.

nope, it mates up pretty nicely. However, you'll want to use large diameter washers on the manifold bolts. The stock manifold bolts have washers that don't overlap the intake manifold/header enough.

JR

I second that! the washers were to small when I did my headers also. You also want to be real careful and make sure that the egr tube's flange is real flat before connecting to the header. Mine had a little curve to it, that I did not notice, and when I connected it to the headers it did not form a good seal so I had an exhaust leak that sounded like it was coming from the back cylinders some where it was a pain to find, I ended up pulling off the inner fenderwell and using a spray bottle to find it, what a pain.

yetiman

EGR flange? I have nothing connected to the header. I pulled half the EGR stuff out\, other than the section that inserts into the intake manifold. What header are you running?

JR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom