Header gasket sealant - yes, no, does it matter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought a set of MAF ceramic coated headers based on commemts I found here (comes with the metal sandwich type gasket). Getting ready to install and have searched about using sealant. Some say yes, some say no. Some say red hi-temp RTV, some say use the hi-temp copper stuff. Emailed tech support at MAF but never got a reply. What would you do?

i have used red rtv before on cast iron manifolds with good results... but now i pretty much double up every exhaust gaskets on an older vehicles and go without any sealant. i've heard good things about that indian copper stuff in the little bottle *but that might be for heads.

Double gasket - no sealant

I replaced the leaky manifold gasket that the PO installed under headers a little over three years ago with Fel Pro (part # MS22813). I used two gaskets - no sealant. I also took advantage of the opportunity to replace the manifold bolts with studs. No worries since. HTH.
Alfred

I installed my downey header with 1 gasket and a pretty decent amount of coppercoat on each side 3 years ago. No leaks there yet. The collector is another story. I seem to have to change that every year.

Bought the MAF header about a year ago, it functions fine, however I dont like the fitment when you bolt up the intake, it took some creative washer work to make everything bolt up flush, so I run two gaskets and copper high temp, no leaks yet, just make sure after you heat it up a couple times re-torque the nuts/bolts. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom