Header gasket sealant - yes, no, does it matter?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Waorani, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Waorani

Waorani

Bought a set of MAF ceramic coated headers based on commemts I found here (comes with the metal sandwich type gasket). Getting ready to install and have searched about using sealant. Some say yes, some say no. Some say red hi-temp RTV, some say use the hi-temp copper stuff. Emailed tech support at MAF but never got a reply. What would you do?

2. bandy rooster

bandy rooster

i have used red rtv before on cast iron manifolds with good results... but now i pretty much double up every exhaust gaskets on an older vehicles and go without any sealant. i've heard good things about that indian copper stuff in the little bottle *but that might be for heads.

3. CNCFJ40

CNCFJ40

Double gasket - no sealant

I replaced the leaky manifold gasket that the PO installed under headers a little over three years ago with Fel Pro (part # MS22813). I used two gaskets - no sealant. I also took advantage of the opportunity to replace the manifold bolts with studs. No worries since. HTH.
    Alfred

4. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

I installed my downey header with 1 gasket and a pretty decent amount of coppercoat on each side 3 years ago. No leaks there yet. The collector is another story. I seem to have to change that every year.

5. Tunnelratt

Tunnelratt

Bought the MAF header about a year ago, it functions fine, however I dont like the fitment when you bolt up the intake, it took some creative washer work to make everything bolt up flush, so I run two gaskets and copper high temp, no leaks yet, just make sure after you heat it up a couple times re-torque the nuts/bolts. :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.