Headed from the Bay to the Blue Ridge Today - Ankida Ridge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20211204_161752.jpg

Exceptional wine. My buddy Nate and his family own the vineyard. Enjoy it.
I done some trail riding with Nate and wine drinking, recommend both, small world.

It was a good trip - Ankida Ridge is a special place for sure - Amazing wine, good people to converse with and they had a great food truck there - Carbon Catering. Never thought I would get a NY Strip from a food truck - but I did and it was definitely in my Top 5. The event at Ankida wound down at 7 and we headed over to Loose Shoe Brewing, where I found their 'Insidious IPA'. The wife liked their Pony Tail Pilsner. Good live music and the staff were super friendly as were the patrons in the joint. They also make a very good root beer. We got some crowlers of each to go and headed back to the motel in the center of town.

When people would ask "Where y'all stayin'?" and we would tell them they were like "...How is it?" we said 'fine'... We could not find anywhere else when we were booking, but there was definitely a strong overtone of 'musty' in our room. I imagine the black parts of the ceiling were mold... I recommend finding other lodging or sleeping in your rig. The rooms were well kept as far as bedding, towels, etc - but it was definitely not great. The people we chatted up at the vineyard and brewery also had great suggestions on what to do and where to go while in town. We didn't sleep well, but I imagine we managed enough.

Sunday morning we got up early and headed to Ediths Route 60 diner - they were open earlier than 'The Filling Station' - either were highly recommended. Great service and a great breakfast at Ediths - really excellent biscuits too. Lovely dated brown formica interior, but the food and staff are all good. Headed back to the motel before checkout to get our stuff and get out of dodge.

While I was packing the truck, a 1989 FJ62 came down the driveway, a nice gentleman and his lovely wife pulled up and rolled down the window to chat and check out my 80. He said his wife noticed it from up on the road and told him to come check it out and talk to us. We had a great chat about land cruisers - he has and has had quite a few. He also owns/operates one of the antique shops in town. They had to run some errands before opening the shop, so we found some other places to visit. Anyway, we met up with them after a bit and this place is PACKED with automobilia - "Warehouse Antiques". No Land Cruiser parts - but old tin signs galore, garage stuff, though - definitely worth a stop. I picked up a nice little Pre-1970s Dietz Comet lantern - pretty sure it has never been used..

After all that we headed to Camp Trapezium (brewery). This place is pretty cool as it used to be a Grain Mill - all the belts/chutes etc are still there there and creates a really interesting space. I found a NEIPA that I liked and the wife had their Czech Pils. We also got one of their Tomato/Basil/Mozz pizzas and milled around for a good while.

Heading back east, we stopped at Dickie Bros Orchard and got a peck of Pink Lady apples and a couple of other things - their Cider is DARK and good. The rest of the trip was uneventful and got back home at about 7:30.

And now I'm hungry. :(

I done some trail riding with Nate and wine drinking, recommend both, small world.

We were up at Wintergreen just before halloween doing the Nat'l park drive and other sights up that way - stopped down to Waynesboro - Lost City and that crazy pawn/junk/everything you would ever look for shop. It was... interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom