Head lights will not turn off when switch is turned off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 1978 fj40…today i installed new turn signal switch on the column…now all my blinkers and high beam switch work…now the low beams stay on even if the headlight switch is turned off…when i pull the switch the marker light come on and go off when i turn switch off but the headlights still remain on…this issue did not exist before i changed out turn signal switch…i have done nothing else today except change oil…thoughts?

I have 1978 fj40…today i installed new turn signal switch on the column…now all my blinkers and high beam switch work…now the low beams stay on even if the headlight switch is turned off…when i pull the switch the marker light come on and go off when i turn switch off but the headlights still remain on…this issue did not exist before i changed out turn signal switch…i have done nothing else today except change oil…thoughts?

my thoughts are the aftermarket made in EBAY sourced CHINESE switch may be the issue here in every way .............. 🤔

am i getting warm here ?

if not ........

- where , who , and what and why did you install in your column today ...

I bought the switch awhile back cant remember where…not ebay…reason for change was due to left turn signal not working any more…i cleaned up original one and it worked for awhile then it stopped working so i replaced with new.

Well I went and looked back where I purchased the switch and yes...drum roll...ebay purchase. If the switch is causing this is there a fix or do I need to purchase a different switch

I went back out to look at wiring and it seems that two of the wires are in the wrong position

you can simply have your CAKE and eat it too , here

the china knock off's do not have the correct GAUGE wire in them too thin ....

here is what i offer and what you need :

- 100% TOYOTA Genuine JAPAN parts , these are the one that actually last , 30+ years !

LINK here :

1661589842344.png

1661589856023.png

1661589870093.png

1661589881877.png

1661589900269.png

1661589915078.png

1661589929123.png

1661589949033.png

1661589970597.png

sometimes .......

one needs to take a moment and remind themselves who it is there serving , what it is there serving-up , and how exactly that should best be achieved 🤔

- everyday i fill orders for my my long and ever growing list of " PLC's " , whom i strive hard to provide " BLS " in a consistent manner , with fit , form and function

always at the back of my head too at the same time .......

- i randomly for no particular reason have ALWAY enclosed some sort of " Captain-Crunch " Cerial Box Prize in each order i send out since even before the days of

our family run parts online store we are very very very thankful to have the support to continue daily as a means of putting food on our table and such ...

- i only filled and shipped one order today first thing and that way yours ........

- before i saw this thread post above update to be clear here , and well this moment is intriguing because i decided to go CEARIAL BOX PRIZE in a more then

average way ,

- because , this OEM TOYOTA Genuine JAPAN part is a recent new offering in only the last week or so , and you were / are the first " PLC " to purchase one from us ......

so , i added this gesture of gratitude , THANKS for your support :)

kindly ,

ERIN and Matt

(1) - Copy - Copy.png

5C3D0478-46F5-4116-AD9B-1F48FB3503BD.jpeg
50940218-0865-4E2C-9C6C-8BF3369E444D.jpeg
526F85B6-8934-4A47-97BE-2EB9FD410C69.jpeg
47057C0D-3A4E-485F-8AF2-E3C5B8E7D851.jpeg
E8EE0CEF-D1D4-4E66-BEA5-9A41F006F68A.jpeg
40F40C5A-338A-4735-99C1-46DC3DD4A31C.jpeg
D2A5275E-7C81-4731-B01E-58B289EAD9F6.jpeg
5F0F81BB-AFC0-4670-95BF-72F47B448CA0.jpeg

I purchased one last night….thank you!
question...I installed you switch and th
I purchased one last night….thank you!
I installed the switch from you but now the head lights will not come on...all other lights work. on the switch connector there are two connectors one large with about 6 wires pairs connecting and a smaller one that has 2 wire pars connecting. is the smaller connector the headlight connector? If so there is power coming in but the lights are not receiving power. WHat are your thoughts? Thank you!

question...I installed you switch and th

I installed the switch from you but now the head lights will not come on...all other lights work. on the switch connector there are two connectors one large with about 6 wires pairs connecting and a smaller one that has 2 wire pars connecting. is the smaller connector the headlight connector? If so there is power coming in but the lights are not receiving power. WHat are your thoughts? Thank you!

blown fuse ?

just replace the fuse don't rely on a simple test like check .......

Are you sure your truck is a 78? Are the connector on the truck side correct for the switch and original?
Because there are 3 or 4 versions of this blinker switch...
Up to 1977:
- One for diesels (slightly different connectors than petrol version of same time)
- One for petrol non-US (with high beam flashing)
- One for petrol US (no flashing but handle trailer switch)
From 1978:
- One for all (which actually superseed the previous diesel version)

Are you sure your truck is a 78? Are the connector on the truck side correct for the switch and original?
Up to 1977:
- One for diesels (slightly different connectors than petrol version of same time)
From 1978:
Up to 1977:
From 1978:
I have attached some photos…my FJ shows it was built in December 1977….1978 model. I also attached photos of wiring harness. I will try the fuse tomorrow…i will let you know how that goes.

A62A8F67-A5D9-4801-8E2B-B68EFAF6DDD4.jpeg

B7A21B8B-937F-4CBF-ACB3-3CAA99864930.jpeg

1A555FDC-865A-42ED-9AED-A226658C11D3.jpeg

97ACFBDC-4CE6-4939-A3CC-D172F2776C94.jpeg

Ok i will check this out tomorrow and let you know…cheers
Ok so i repaired the wire and changed fuse and still no headlights. The lights worked with the old switch before putting the new one on. All i did was to unplug old and put new one on…i am getting power to the harness side of the connector…could to switch be defective?…the wire repair is all crimped in and secure…no play in the sleeve. Thoughts…the headlights are LED from City Racer.

3AAC760D-1783-4C06-A6DA-8A7B1256F370.jpeg

457E437C-14F9-45D8-89D5-2EB9A5A2F5A5.jpeg

00BA047A-359E-429F-8874-216E992B0C83.jpeg

Ok so i repaired the wire and changed fuse and still no headlights. The lights worked with the old switch before putting the new one on. All i did was to unplug old and put new one on…i am getting power to the harness side of the connector…could to switch be defective?…the wire repair is all crimped in and secure…no play in the sleeve. Thoughts…the headlights are LED from City Racer.

View attachment 3122555

View attachment 3122556

View attachment 3122557
So i just figured out the small connector is for the horn and the horn works…i unconnected tested horn no sound and reconnected tested and horn sounded…

sometimes .......

one needs to take a moment and remind themselves who it is there serving , what it is there serving-up , and how exactly that should best be achieved 🤔

- everyday i fill orders for my my long and ever growing list of " PLC's " , whom i strive hard to provide " BLS " in a consistent manner , with fit , form and function

always at the back of my head too at the same time .......

- i randomly for no particular reason have ALWAY enclosed some sort of " Captain-Crunch " Cerial Box Prize in each order i send out since even before the days of

our family run parts online store we are very very very thankful to have the support to continue daily as a means of putting food on our table and such ...

- i only filled and shipped one order today first thing and that way yours ........

- before i saw this thread post above update to be clear here , and well this moment is intriguing because i decided to go CEARIAL BOX PRIZE in a more then

average way ,

- because , this OEM TOYOTA Genuine JAPAN part is a recent new offering in only the last week or so , and you were / are the first " PLC " to purchase one from us ......

so , i added this gesture of gratitude , THANKS for your support :)

kindly ,

ERIN and Matt

Wow i jist read this…thank you for the cereal surprise…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom