Head job complete but oil leaks over oil cooler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So has anybody had head work done and develop a head leak over the oil cooler?
It Spitz out over cooler and dripsdown to the ground.
Is this just need head bolt in need of tightend?
Or a new gasket again?
The head was cleaned and shaved down level that's all needed then all new engine gaskets, oil pan, front seal, timing chain, oil cooler,head and valve cover. All leaks were gone until month later now leaks out of head and Spitz out on oil cooler anyone have this experience. I obviously am taking back to the shop to have it taken care of but just looking for similarities of the issue and resolutions.
Any advice would help.
Thanks

I wonder if it's a timing chain cover issue...given that the head was shaved..maybe too much material was taken off and this conflicts with the stock height on the timing cover

Timing chain cvr be same height as your block so it is not likely, did you put fipg where it tell you too in the fsm under head gasket by timing cvr area?

There are also two bolts down through the head into the timing cover that may have been overlooked or not tightened.

On mine, the machine shop bolted the timing cover to the block before they decked the block. And when you bolt it all back together, there is a slight bit of slop you might want to spend time aligning if you're nitpicky like me.

So has anybody had head work done and develop a head leak over the oil cooler?
It Spitz out over cooler and dripsdown to the ground.
Is this just need head bolt in need of tightend?
Or a new gasket again?
The head was cleaned and shaved down level that's all needed then all new engine gaskets, oil pan, front seal, timing chain, oil cooler,head and valve cover. All leaks were gone until month later now leaks out of head and Spitz out on oil cooler anyone have this experience. I obviously am taking back to the shop to have it taken care of but just looking for similarities of the issue and resolutions.
Any advice would help.
Thanks
Yes I had a head job and its a result of either 3 things
1. head bolt stripped to far or broke and they failed to fix or tell you, the head bolts are made to stretch on order to achieve proper torque if gone passed the limit they break or loosen and cause leak either way.
2. they damaged the gasket upon install which is very easy to do by not being careful
3. they used a non OEM Toyota gasket using a cheap after market means the gasket wont fit properly in most cases its smaller and shorter than original and they force it to fit. so no matter which of these it is it will cause the leak, I had it in exact same spot, they refunded me the money for the labor not the head cleaning and shaving and I took to a more reputable guy and he redid the gasket and its solved.
If anything ever leaks after you had it worked on they messed up and its there fault. always. don't settle for poor workmanship and bad work ethic and practices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom