HEAD GASKET...... (1 Viewer)

At what mileage did your Head Gasket BLOW or had to get replaced?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The hasn't blown yet category doesn't tell much unless we know the miles as well. Also the model year I think would be significant.

95,000 still goin strong

[glow=red,2,300]The hasn't blown yet category doesn't tell much unless we know the miles as well. Also the model year I think would be significant. [/glow]

Yeah.i know, there just wasnt enough 'option' boxes... :-\

'93, 115k; only problem so far is CDL not engaging, and big cracks in the leather :)

roughly 32k :-[ within first week after purchase

scared the sales manager so much that they called the police and a little girl in the showroom was crying. :-[ Yeah, I was just a little ticked. :mad:

They gave me a new Seqeua to drive the next 33 days. :mad: :'(

This is a biased poll. The 93-94 FZJs don't blow head gaskets as they are the best available years. :flipoff2:

Keep telling yourself that Rogue and someday you may just believe it. Ah, Fantasyland comes so easy to those in the special education testing program. :flipoff2:

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=9853;start=msg87330#msg87330 date=1073622819]
roughly 32k :-[ within first week after purchase scared the sales manager so much that they called the police
[/quote]

I would have LOVED to be a fly on the wall for that :D!...
Scaring Sales managers = good :D

.."Ugh, Mr. Policeman..i was ONLY kidding when i said i was going to attach him to my tow hitch and drag him around MOAB by his ball sack" :D

:D

Actually when the 2 police cars pulled up, both cops were impressed at my tact. I never threatened the guy, just kind of made him feel like he was. They did warn me that perception is the key, but that sales mgr was real close to wettin his knickers.

He's not there any more. Not sure when he left, and I don't think I had anything to do with it. Since then, I've become well acquanted with all the service guys. The parts guys they've had though are fricking morons and buttmonkeys.

141,000, still strong. Knock on wood

Mine was at 116014 miles, or three weeks ago :-[ But its back now so all is well!

The cooling system is the key. Keep it clean and in good shape and you may never have any problem. But the redsign of the headgasket is also a key. There is more metal aournd the coolant sealing areas. the coolant passages at the back of the block are smaller to control the coolant to allow more heat soak and keep this area cooler to not bake the head gasket. 95-97 I believe are also more prone to the head gasket faliure due to OBDII and the aluminum core radiator. I see more deposits in the over flow tank in these model years. OBDII runs the engine leaner so more heat. The aluminum core radiator has it chemical/ electrical reactions going on. This I believe leads to a ealier death of the head gasket in the 95-97. I really do think it is a time bomb for most second and thrid owner trucks that have not had a yearly coolant flush. Even with toyota coolant I believe the owners of these trucks need to have it drained and filled every year or 15kmiles. Just my opinion based on what I have seen over the last 3 years. later Robbie I have to do some work

Can someone in the know post the part number of the "new/improved" HG?

Mine was replace this past spring, and I'd like to see if they used the good one.

Tom

It started leaking at 85K and BLEW at 105K.

Replaced HG as part of engine rebuild at 146k miles, but HG was fine.

1993 fzj80

[quote author=robbie link=board=2;threadid=9853;start=msg87595#msg87595 date=1073663582]
The cooling system is the key. Keep it clean and in good shape and you may never have any problem. But the redsign of the headgasket is also a key. There is more metal aournd the coolant sealing areas. the coolant passages at the back of the block are smaller to control the coolant to allow more heat soak and keep this area cooler to not bake the head gasket. 95-97 I believe are also more prone to the head gasket faliure due to OBDII and the aluminum core radiator. I see more deposits in the over flow tank in these model years. OBDII runs the engine leaner so more heat. The aluminum core radiator has it chemical/ electrical reactions going on. This I believe leads to a ealier death of the head gasket in the 95-97. I really do think it is a time bomb for most second and thrid owner trucks that have not had a yearly coolant flush. Even with toyota coolant I believe the owners of these trucks need to have it drained and filled every year or 15kmiles. Just my opinion based on what I have seen over the last 3 years. later Robbie I have to do some work
[/quote]

How about if one changes the radiator in a 97 to the 3-row brass core radiator from the 93-94? Or is it too late and the HG will have likely suffered damage already? At how many miles do you change the t-chain?

Jim,
The timing chain should last until the engine needs a rebuild. Probably 300k or more.

If you need a new radiator then the 3-core 93-94 is cheaper by about $100 (from C-Dan) and will fit the 95-97's

-B-

THe timing chain and guides should last 300k or more. I have on occasion seen when a guide is broken, the new (after 94) went to a different style of connecting the plastic to the aluminum for the slipper. As for the radiator, It will lessen some of the problem, but will not cure the design of the head gasket it self and any destruction in the gasket up to date. As for how long the head gasket redesign of the head gasket has been around, I replace mine in 99 and it was different then the orginal. More metal around the water passeges and smaller rear holes. Toyota has know about this for a long time. But still never a recall to fix the problem. later Robbie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom