Head gasket went (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well it finely happened; head gasket went @ 152K miles.

While I was taking the engine apart I noticed the intake plenum along with the filter assembly has antifreeze in it, is this normal? It looks as though the Throttle body is in good shape with no cracks so it didn’t come from there. Any ideas as to the source of the antifreeze other than head gasket, or am I just being paranoid?

isn't there some sort of coolant line going to the TB?

Yes there is coolant lines to the TB but they look normal as does the TB.

Thanks Landtank, I should have the head off today and will check the #6 cylinder for damage.

To find the leak in the Probe throttle body we just fixed, we put soapy water where the coolant could have leaked through and pressurized the cooling passage with air. It bubbled where the leak was.

We rushed to condemn the HG and did a LOT of unnessesary work.

the EGR theory has merit and is easily checked by pulling the EGR line.

If your leaking enough coolant to go out the exhaust, through the EGR system and have it siting in the intake and air cleaner, that's one big leak! :eek: Is coolant running out the tail pipe? I would carefully examine and pressure test the coolant passages on the intake side.

Sorry to hear the news...

Did it heat up at all? I ran mine for about 10 mins after it started running crappy. The head checked out ok, so the mechanic just installed a new gasket and sent me on my way.

That was 3,000 miles ago, and no problems as of yet.

Good luck!!

I'm going to check the TB first with air pressure, there was a large white cloud out the tall pipe and the engine started missing from all the coolant.

The temp gauge was pegged when I noticed the missing and power loss. Why isn't there an idiot light or alarm for those of use that watch the road, not our gauges?

Pegged is a very bad sign. Inspect the head for warpage very carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom