Head gasket went out...confirm how to proceed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
xxxxxxx

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Before you swap out, I'd check the compression with a remote starter. Take the coil wire off so it won't start. If the compression is good, I'dd just take the head off, have it machined and replace the gasket with an oem one. Unlike the 80's, the 2F headgasket is not a real hard job.

Aaron, milky stuff AND not turning over sounds like hydrolock to me. If you try hard enough, you can bend a connecting rod REALLY BAD this way!

You need to remove ALL the spark plugs and THEN try to turn the engine over. BEFORE you even worry about a compression test. Use a remote starter switch, or hve someone else use the ignition while you observe under the hood. DO NOT STAND ON THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE TRUCK. If the block has taken on water, it will shoot fast and far out of the side. Then you will know which cylinder are affected.

If the truck was this way when you got it, I wouldn't take a chance on the rods without dropping the oil pan and inspecting them too.

There is one other option that you can try. Companies like www.eastwood.com sell a dye that you can put in into your anti-freeze. You then inspect the engine and the stuff that may be coming out of the spark plug holes with a special light. If you have anti-freeze in the cylinders, this is a sure fire way to spot it. Your oil may glow a bit too though I'm not sure about this.

Good luck!

Loosing antifreeze and having milky oil cap could be a headgasket but I'd suspect it's a cracked head. Those dome piston heads from 79+ and 60 series don't have all that great a reputation. You'll have to have the head off anyway to replace the gasket but I'd start trying to round up a head if i were your. I'd forget all the testing and pull the thing your going to have to anyway. Or since you have a known 2f just swap it in.

Hope it's not and good luck.

wesintl said:
Loosing antifreeze and having milky oil cap could be a headgasket but I'd suspect it's a cracked head. Those dome piston heads from 79+ and 60 series don't have all that great a reputation. You'll have to have the head off anyway to replace the gasket but I'd start trying to round up a head if i were your. I'd forget all the testing and pull the thing your going to have to anyway. Or since you have a known 2f just swap it in.

Hope it's not and good luck.

The early 2F engines had domed pistons and the castings are much thicker than the later version found in the FJ60 etc. with the flat top pistons.

Aaron, I'll try and call you this week and we can take a look at it. Plus, I have some 2F OEM gaskets laying around that you can use if you need.

How long has this thing been sitting?

You can put a 75 dome piston head on a 79 with flat top pistons but you'll need to mill the head to reach the same compression ratio. I want to say I milled mine .050

The other possible problem with the oil being overfull is a washed down pistom from fuel contamination. Does the oil smell like gas? Is there an electric fuel pump on the rig?

RIDDLER said:
Truck has only sat for about 20 days after the PO said it stopped.
FYI- The good engine is from a 1975 FJ40. is the head compatible to a 1979 block?

Yes, all the E-7/80 2F open chamber heads are interchangeable. There are only two casting numbers, IIRC, 61030 and 61031 for those years.

The 81-87 heads are closed chamber, casting #'s 61040 and higher. They will not work w/ the domed pistons that are in all E-80 2F's.

fwiw, when i blew the head gasket (twice) in my 78, it smoked everyone out...it was WAY beyond obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom