Head gasket retorque

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With all the recent head gasket issues being posted i am contemplating the idea of doing a retorque on the stock gasket on my 93. Any thoughts lets hear em.

Turn bolts in a counterclockwise direction. Remove. Tap head lightly on side until loose. Remove and clean mating surfaces. Place new head gasket on block, install parts in the reverse order of removal. Re-torque bolts. Drive vehicle for another 200K.

-Spike (Just kidding, re-torque is probably not going to hurt. Much.)

You can't just retorque the head bolts, like Spike said you have to remove them as they don't tighten to a set torque setting.
Looks like a big job.

If you removed the bollt, wouldn't you have to replace the head gasket?

Order the new head gasket and plan your pm head gasket job when it is convenient for you. If you are going that far, you mind as well do the whole job ... Just my 2 cents ...

Tools R Us said:
there is no final torque spec to retorque them to?

nope no final torque, degree's of rotation only.

to get to the head bolts out you have to pull the cams, if you are going in that deep you mught as well pull the intake and exhuasrt and just replace the HG

it is doubtful weather a reqorque would help anyway as the original HG has weaknesses,

RavenTai said:
to get to the head bolts out you have to pull the cams, if you are going in that deep you mught as well pull the intake and exhuasrt and just replace the HG

it is doubtful weather a reqorque would help anyway as the original HG has weaknesses,

I'm with Raven. Allocate a few more hours to the job and be done with it for another 200k miles.

-B-

I wasn't planning on removing the bolts and then reinstalling them just torquing them. I do know that the bolts are torque to yeild however they start from a given torque and then are given an additional partial turn, i was thinking about giving them just a tweek more, and as they seem to be failing like pop corn what the hell. However i have never had the rocker box off and didn't know that the cams were in the way so the whole thing is moot. Thanks for the responces anyway, ill just sit back down and shut up now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom