Head Gasket replacement for LJ78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I have a 1991 Land Cruiser LJ78 with the 2L-TE diesel engine. The head gasket (HG) is blown, and I need a mechanic to replace it. Looking for your recommendations. It over heats wthin a 15 min drive. Exhaust gases are present in coolant. Looking for a mechanic in the Denver, Colorado Metro area. Thanks for the help in advance.

Sorry to hear. How many kms on your engine? Has the head been upgraded to the newer part number before? The headgaskets don't blow on these motors; they are a very good multi-layer-steel design. Chances are about 95% the cylinder head is cracked. The good news is the newer part number ones are much much better than the originals.... They seem to be lasting over 200,000km here.

Can't recommend a mechanic though; sorry.

Sorry to hear. How many kms on your engine? Has the head been upgraded to the newer part number before? The headgaskets don't blow on these motors; they are a very good multi-layer-steel design. Chances are about 95% the cylinder head is cracked. The good news is the newer part number ones are much much better than the originals.... They seem to be lasting over 200,000km here.

Can't recommend a mechanic though; sorry.
The cruiser is in great condition, inside and out, including the engine bay. All look originial, and very clean when it was imported, and it is still in great condition. It has 262 thousand km on the ODO (255k when I got it). I am not sure if the head is original or replaced. Is there a way to id the original vs the new part# head? Thank you.

The cruiser is in great condition, inside and out, including the engine bay. All look originial, and very clean when it was imported, and it is still in great condition. It has 262 thousand km on the ODO (255k when I got it). I am not sure if the head is original or replaced. Is there a way to id the original vs the new part# head? Thank you.

No, there is no easy way to ID the original vs. newer head. With that many kms, I'm pretty sure it's been replaced before though. The original's only lasted about 100,000km. It's possible the head was replaced in Japan early on in it's life, so was replaced with another faulty early part number head.

There is also a very faint possibility a poor job was done when the head was replaced, and the gasket is leaking from improper installation.....

You can try Classic Cruisers in Pagosa Springs or Red Line Land Cruisers out of Colorado Springs.
You could also try JC’s British in Denver (285 and Santa Fe) - they were working on getting a diesel mechanic and might do it.
Please report back on who you find and progress for the other guys in the Denver area. Thanks, and good luck!

You can try Classic Cruisers in Pagosa Springs or Red Line Land Cruisers out of Colorado Springs.
You could also try JC’s British in Denver (285 and Santa Fe) - they were working on getting a diesel mechanic and might do it.
Please report back on who you find and progress for the other guys in the Denver area. Thanks, and good luck!
Thank you Lenny. Red Line Land Cruisers was unable to take me in until summer 2020. I spoke to Justin. Classic Cruisers seem to be a good place but its a 3 hr drive to the mountains. I will call JC's British. Thank you.

Please keep me up to date - curious about this as well. For what it’s worth, I would personally have it towed to Classic (if they will take it). They are probably more familiar with these vehicles. JCs can probably do it, it they are pricier. You will want to talk to Jordan on the “Outfitter” side of the business with JC’s. Tell him that Jarrod (black LC Prado) sent you his way - not sure if he will be happy with me or mad at me. 😉

Please keep me up to date - curious about this as well. For what it’s worth, I would personally have it towed to Classic (if they will take it). They are probably more familiar with these vehicles. JCs can probably do it, it they are pricier. You will want to talk to Jordan on the “Outfitter” side of the business with JC’s. Tell him that Jarrod (black LC Prado) sent you his way - not sure if he will be happy with me or mad at me. 😉
. Thank you Lenny. Btw, where did you buy your roof rack? Make and model? Looks fantastic.

Thanks - it’s a Frontrunner (out of CA). Can’t remember exact model, but just go to the site and you can select by vehicle - really easy.

Hi, I bought the parts....first step done😬 Got the gasket kit, timing belt kit, water pump. All good, Toyota branded. I think i bought the wrong fan clutch. I got an AISIN FCT025, based on the blogs I read. It seems incorrect. The FCT025 seem to be smaller than the original in the LJ78. Do you happened to know the correct part# for this. I also bought a AISIN CRT004 clutch slave cylinder. CRT004 seem to be the mirror image of the cylinder I need. I know the clutch has nothing to do with overheating. Gear changes are not that smooth, specially when it is cold, so I thought of replacing it. Please let me know if you have the part#. The work will begin tomorrow 😳

Hi, I bought the parts....first step done😬 Got the gasket kit, timing belt kit, water pump. All good, Toyota branded. I think i bought the wrong fan clutch. I got an AISIN FCT025, based on the blogs I read. It seems incorrect. The FCT025 seem to be smaller than the original in the LJ78. Do you happened to know the correct part# for this. I also bought a AISIN CRT004 clutch slave cylinder. CRT004 seem to be the mirror image of the cylinder I need. I know the clutch has nothing to do with overheating. Gear changes are not that smooth, specially when it is cold, so I thought of replacing it. Please let me know if you have the part#. The work will begin tomorrow 😳

who is doing the work?

I have no issue providing the name of the shop, but can I do that when they are done with the job? If they screw my cruiser, I don't want any of you going there because I mentioned it here..... I found a completely installed head in Australia. If the mechine shop says the head needs a replacement, I will get it from AU. The guy in AU immediately asked me to go with a 3L vs the 2L-TE head even before I asked him. The store is mtcylinderhead.com.au. I spoke to Frank.

I have no issue providing the name of the shop, but can I do that when they are done with the job? If they screw my cruiser, I don't want any of you going there because I mentioned it here..... I found a completely installed head in Australia. If the mechine shop says the head needs a replacement, I will get it from AU. The guy in AU immediately asked me to go with a 3L vs the 2L-TE head even before I asked him. The store is mtcylinderhead.com.au. I spoke to Frank.
I am only curious because I have looked at so many shops in the area, but yeah, that’s cool.
Good luck!

Wouldn't it be better to go with a genuine toyota head if needed since it is available at the dealership here? I was thinking the shipping from Australia would negate any savings plus be aftermarket vs oem part.

I always hear 3l head is recommended but I wonder if that has changed with the part number updates. Has anyone compared the newer version of each to know which is better? The 2lt is slightly less expensive.

According to megazip the fan clutch part number is 16210-54200

From what I've read, the newer part number for both the 3L and 2LTE are much improved over the originals. When I replaced my cylinder head a number of years ago (assumed I had a cracked head, but actually I didn't), I went with the newer 2LTE part number. I used OEM Toyota. It has stood up well; and I've put it through a lot!

Hi folks. the head is out. cracked in many places. mostly, between the valves. Also, see the pix of the block. one of the cylinder walls is heavily pitted. I assume it happened due to extreme heat. On a positive note, the head gasket is in great condition :) The cam, etc however, is in very good condition.
head many cracks.jpg
block pitted cylinder.jpg
It seems I need a new engine 😳😢

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom