Head Gasket Repair, Observations, and now the rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I call dibs on everything. ;) If you need a hand Greg, say the word..............

It's not going anywhere at the present time, I am investigating a diesel swap, ls1 swap, and engine rebuild at this point. Will not be parted out, if I were to even think about selling 80 it would be sold as a complete truck.

It's not going anywhere at the present time, I am investigating a diesel swap, ls1 swap, and engine rebuild at this point. Will not be parted out, if I were to even think about selling 80 it would be sold as a complete truck.

Diesel or LS1 would be sweet. I imagine you would do a yota diesel.

Don't overlook the LS2 but they are normally more expensive than a LS1

This is Greg, money is no option, he's sold how many trucks and made how much money off of them? But, oh yeah, now he knows where his money's going!:D

HAMOM? :bounce:

There are a couple of 1FZ engines for sale in the area. You could always buy one, change the head gasket, etc., and swap it in. Then, sell your old engine. Depends on what you want to tackle.

I am curious whether the bearing on #3 is bad, and if so what caused it? I know this 80 was very well maintained.

HAMOM? :bounce:

There are a couple of 1FZ engines for sale in the area. You could always buy one, change the head gasket, etc., and swap it in. Then, sell your old engine. Depends on what you want to tackle.

Not to cut in here but i need a pointer to one of these engines please. I need one to build for a spare.

I am curious whether the bearing on #3 is bad, and if so what caused it? I know this 80 was very well maintained.

what about the first 160k and first owners? I recall it overheated the day it was picked up in winston so it may have been sending signs it was ready for retirement or rebuild?

oh btw the LS1 80 you missed today was pretty sweet :D

That stinks man...sorry to see the damage. Have you considered going with the Tundra v8? I hear that is one sweet swap to do.

Updates Finally

Well after a few months of about everything going on we have finally settled down after closing on my Cary house and moving everything out and into our new house here in Charleston. I can finally get back moving on this thing and hopefully get it back on the trails in the next few months.

I was able to get the motor out this weekend and put parts together to drop off this week for rebuild and machine shop work. I am being told I will have it back in two weeks after droping it off. Not really in a rush I just know time is of the essence right now.

Updates to follow...

engine 1.JPG

engine 2.JPG

oh man...... imagine how many cruiser parts you can cram in there
Thats waaaaay bigger than your old crawlspace :D

congrats on the progress!

Loving every bit of it...once I can get things figured out it might just be how many cruisers I can fit in here...right now i am loving that I also have a nice little area to rest and watch the games...all while working.

Gnomes are a little happier now that they have there own living quarters seperate from the parts....

engine 3.JPG

Last edited:
Looks good Greg.

Glad to see this thing finally moving forward and back on the trails / road.

No more breaks for mud surfing - no rest until shes ready for STR!!!

:beer: R

I think the "Olde farmhouse" needs to read "Ye Olde Gnome Door"

Looks good. You're the only guy I know that spots on Daniel in flops, and pulls engines in Crocs...

Cheers to the new digs...:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom