Head Gasket Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3 gallons of coolant over a couple of months does not equate to a hair-line crack in a heater control valve. Are you no longer adding coolant? Wait, in AK, does your engine every heat up? Currently 74°F here in Los Angeles.

3 gallons of coolant over a couple of months does not equate to a hair-line crack in a heater control valve. Are you no longer adding coolant? Wait, in AK, does your engine every heat up? Currently 74°F here in Los Angeles.

Of course it could account for 3gals. When your head gasket leaks it's typically of the same caliber as a hairline itself. It's not as though you end up with a faucet pouring into the cylinder, hell many people can't see the issue with their eyes once looking at it.

I have a confession. I mistook my head gasket leak for a leaking heater core. Water was splashing down over the transmission bell housing (couldn't see location of leak) and I mistook these for a being a rear heater hose. After closing off the rear heat core I still had leakage. The head gasket finally gave way between cylinders pouring water into my cylinders. It took two cylinders (back two) to fill up with water for me to finally realize I had a blown head gasket and not a front or rear heater core leak.
IMG_3668.JPG
IMG_3682.JPG

Mine failed on #6 as well.

I live in SE AK, it has been almost 50 degrees F here lately, dumping feet of rain, but not super cold. The engine gets up to temp and maintains, the leak was pretty small, but I haven't had to add any coolant since changing the heater valve, I was just thrilled to have a much cheaper fix in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom