Head Gasket- my ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seen a lot of people pull the motor and tranny together. I had heard the trans is a pita to get separated while in the vehicle. Anyone have thoughts or experience with this ?

I pulled the motor, tranny and xfer as one unit. Two people needed but in my mind way easier. If I did it again I would do the same. I know it's done all the time but I could not imagine doing the HG without pulling the motor ? Yes, I'm a little OCD but when everything is out, it's way easier to service, clean, inspect, repair, diagnose etc.

The only issue with pulling the combo together is the 'while I'm there' syndrome. I started servicing the tranny and transfer case which was a bunch more hours and a couple of $$$$'s later.

Enjoy the ride....

I don't seem to recall saying that and certainly not about head bolts. My favorite for not doing a "complete" job is "That is like taking a shower and putting your dirty shorts back on."

When it comes to 1FZ head bolts replacement is not automatic and depends on bolt stretch. The bolt diameter is measured at a specific point and if the diameter is above mimimum you are OK. I do not recall ever hearing of bolts used only once to be out of spec.

I've posted this before and I'll do so again just so it's out there.

You need to do the initial torquing of the head bolts twice! After the first pass the 4 center bolts have been light on 3 engines now that I've done. This would yield a different end result for those 4 bolts after the two quarter turns which is done next.

Excellent information.

I don't see why people get all bent out of shape by pulling a motor. Lots of plugs and hoses and a few tight reaches for tranny bolts, but once its out it is pure bliss to work on.

I've posted this before and I'll do so again just so it's out there.

You need to do the initial torquing of the head bolts twice! After the first pass the 4 center bolts have been light on 3 engines now that I've done. This would yield a different end result for those 4 bolts after the two quarter turns which is done next.

Hey Rick, about to do a HG job and have a question about the above. I plan to reuse the existing head bolts. So you are saying that the head will "settle" a bit over time? I have done many 2f headgaskets and never have gone back and retorqued the head. Not arguing with you just curious as to what causes this? I am guessing the best process is to torque to spec per the fsm, leave it overnight and then come back in the morning and recheck all the bolts per the fsm procedure?

Thanks,

Noah

No that is not what I'm saying. The procedure on the 1FZ is to torque the head bolts to 29ftbs (?) initially and then turn them a quarter of a turn twice afterwards. So the initial torquing is a starting point not the end result.

It will make more sense once you familiarize your self with the job.

aaaaaahh, ok, gotcha, you are just saying to make sure to follow the fsm directions! I thought your comment was outside the fsm notes. Sorry for the confusion.

He is saying to go around and torque to the initial torque setting, then go around again at the same torque setting to make sure nothing loosened up, and then do the quarter turn procedure.

I have learned on 2F engines to check the head bolt torque after several heat cycles of the engine. There may be a loosening/relaxing of the bolts/head gasket after some heat cycling. I seem to remember checking it and there was no change, but it's not that hard to do while you're adjusting your valves and it gives peace of mind.

No that is not what I'm saying. The procedure on the 1FZ is to torque the head bolts to 29ftbs (?) initially and then turn them a quarter of a turn twice afterwards. So the initial torquing is a starting point not the end result.

It will make more sense once you familiarize your self with the job.

I agree!

I recently did my sisters 4runner 4cyl. HG. I think I did them all to 15 then again to 29 or whatever it was for that one. Then 1/4 and 1/4 turn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom