Head gasket leaking…looking at my options. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

how are 7 4 and 1 not real? I'd bet they are the oldest, real, and from the same box.

If these are the 8 plugs (1st pic) you just pulled out. I wouldn't expect the engine to run at normal operating temp. Not good, if these plugs are representative of how engine tuned/PM'd. I would expect to see P03** DTC (codes), in this 4.7L.

It's the strangest collection of spark plugs and most confusing info/pic, I've seen. Your showing number #1 in the group that is different and dry, than the #1 by itself very oily. Which is from oil in spark plug tube, not combustion. #4 in group, I see TT/Denso. Which is not a real Denso TT plug. Likely a boot leg.

Bk2 plugs looks cleaner, possibly mild steam clean, than BK1. But with unknown age and mixed matched plugs. I'd not make that call.
#1 plug is same oily plug that I cleaned off to include in line up.

I have had misfire codes in past and replaced with newer plugs when necessary. As long as running good I haven’t just replaced all at once as you can tell. I did just put in all 2R011 Iridium’s however.

If the oil was from within the cylinder it could be bad rings causing oil to get into the combustion chamber. That would coat the plug and cause the misfire. The leak down test would confirm if it was the rings as you would hear air hissing out of the PCV or oil dipstick tube.

Right now there are no misfires nor right before I pulled out oily plug. Runs really well.

Just FYI…Don’t mean to bother. After driving yesterday, this morning I took out plug #1 to find no oil at all on plug. Cranked it and got exhaust below. Just drove 75 mph with max temp at 204 with 170* tstat.

5ACD509C-A614-440E-A3CC-6E0854C93456.png
C2BD3A7E-D07E-4423-AED1-399A24B378F8.png
040A2ECA-85CD-4403-9D05-914218ADEF75.png

Last edited:
Did you check the oil level on the dipstick as well to make sure it wasn't low? Did the smoke smell sweet?

Did you check the oil level on the dipstick as well to make sure it wasn't low? Did the smoke smell sweet?
Oil did show full but I just changed it two days ago. However It has been using/burning/ seeping oil slightly. I think the smoke smelled more like oil than coolant but looked too white to me to be all oil. But what do I know.

Could be coolant, could be oil. Likely both in your case. Loss of coolant & oil, with no apparent leaks to account for amount of loss. Would be first indicator (s).
Oil smoke tend to have a blue tint. But depending on lighting and ones eye, difficult to distinguished. To me, oil smoke looks white.

Coolant=head gasket most common. Crack in block or head much less common.
Oil= Valve steam seals or oil rings, excessive crank case pressure (PCV system and or compression rings)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom