Head gasket leak?? 1993 FZJ 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Original head gasket 1993 FZJ80 208,000 miles. Coolant leak from the cylinder head? Replace head gasket or is this a leaky sensor??? Thanks in advance. Fuel filter on the right for reference.

Thanks in advance.

Pete
F4AF3939-C06D-491F-82BF-4A835718C492.jpeg

Looks to me like a leaky sensor. If from the head\ block interface why would coolant move upward? Truck runs fine other than throwing a code 21.

Try removing the TVV, clean up the threads and reapply some thread locker.

View attachment 2897206
^^This looks like a likely culprit. Is it possible to clean the area well and run the engine and look for weeping? Its not an easy one to get to. If you do mess around in there, be cautious around all the electrical connectors (knock sensors, etc.) that are easy to break if a wrench slips. If you are able to get it out without removing the lower air intake please share. Good luck!

Looks to me like a leaky sensor. If from the head\ block interface why would coolant move upward? Truck runs fine other than throwing a code 21.
If it's a leaky sensor they why is it throwing a code.

The wind from the fan can move coolant upward.

Like bshdriller said get a leak detection kit. 🤷‍♂️ then you can be sure ;)

Code 21 was the O2 sensor. Replaced that. Code gone.

If the coolant is from the head gasket it does necessarily mean that combustion gases are getting into the coolant, it could be coolant passage leaking to the outside.

I would first squirt plenty of a strong calcium style cleaner (in Spain it is called Aqua Furte or strong water), I cannot remember the proper name in English, it will fizz and spit so protect your eyes and it will clean that crap off around the sensor, rinse with clean water, run and check for leaks. Unfortunately if it is the head gasket but there is no combustion gases in the coolant then the head is corroded or warped, this means at the minimum a skim or perhaps welding and skimming.

It might be easier than getting the sensor out and breaking something around it?

Regards

Dave

Confirmed head gasket blown. Getting a new one. 29 years on the original.

Sorry to hear that, :frown: but it seemed the most likely to me.
Get you wallet ready for all the while your in there stuff. 🤷‍♂️

Lucky to have a great independent shop here in Denver do the work. They work on a lot of 80:series and have two in the shop in addition to mine for a new head gasket. Cheap it is not

Lucky to have a great independent shop here in Denver do the work. They work on a lot of 80:series and have two in the shop in addition to mine for a new head gasket. Cheap it is not
But then you wouldn’t want a budget HG job either.

Have the head skimmed, as per my earlier post it did look like a HG, but I would reckon a minimum skim would be a good idea, it is not uncommon for a gasket to corrode and actually set off corrosion of the head itself.

Regards

Dave

But then you wouldn’t want a budget HG job either.
Have the head skimmed, as per my earlier post it did look like a HG, but I would reckon a minimum skim would be a good idea, it is not uncommon for a gasket to corrode and actually set off corrosion of the head itself.

Regards

Dave
Shop has a former Slee employee that does all the 80 series work including head gaskets etc. total cost includes a significant amount of “while your in there stuff”. All OEM and comprehensive repair Including reconditioning of head.

Shop has a former Slee employee that does all the 80 series work including head gaskets etc. total cost includes a significant amount of “while your in there stuff”. All OEM and comprehensive repair Including reconditioning of head.
I wish I had something like that near me, we have Torfab, which is incredible, but there is a significant wait!

I wish I had something like that near me, we have Torfab, which is incredible, but there is a significant wait!
2 80s in front in me for head gaskets. They said 2 months to get everything done.

Ok, that’s significant too! Well it will be expensive, but so sweet when you’re done.

2 80s in front in me for head gaskets. They said 2 months to get everything done.
once you get it fixed and back you will be happy.

I was very surprised at the reclaimed responsiveness and power gain after I did mine a few years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom