Head Gasket Kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to pull my 2f from my 85 FJ60 and put it in my new, rust free 85 FJ60 (first time pulling an engine:nailbiting:). While I have it out I thought I would go ahead and replace gaskets. Looking to order a head gasket kit today. Looking for suggestions / opinions on good hg kits and sources to purchase. Any help appreciated. Also any heads up on "common" errors made that I should avoid would be appreciated as well! Thanks!

The Toyota OEM head gasket is the only way to go. In the past you could order the valve grind kit which included the head gasket, but I think it is NLA. I think you need to order gaskets individually. Call Beno and give him your CC #, only way to go.

As an aside, since OEM support for the 60 series is on life support I wonder how the aftermarket gaskets hold up.....they may be our only choice going forward anyway.
Rockauto has a FelPro valve grind kit for a little over $100 which includes the H/G and they have an ITM full engine gasket kit which includes the H/G for a little under $80. Anyone care to try the aftermarket gaskets?

There is a updated HG for the 2F (compared to the one that originally came w the new engine) that has modified cooling holes in it.
Fits '84-'90 (2F, 3FE) . Toyota PN: 11115-61030

It is not available in any kit. Must be purchased individually.

Anyone care to try the aftermarket gaskets?

Although SOR does have great stuff and is an awesome store, do not buy their aftermarket HG unless you want to take the head off again. Don't do it, no matter what assurances they give you that it's fine.... Because it's not. It's not even close. They shouldn't be selling that POS.

Although SOR does have great stuff and is an awesome store, do not buy their aftermarket HG unless you want to take the head off again. Don't do it, no matter what assurances they give you that it's fine.... Because it's not. It's not even close. They shouldn't be selling that POS.
I agree that OEM is the only way to go, but realistically how much longer will we even have that option? I guess we need to hope the aftermarket raises the bar.

I recently purchased this OEM Overhaul gasket kit from 1st Toyota Parts. It has the OEM Head Gasket and as far as I can tell every other engine seal that is required. Under $300.00 shipped. When I ordered it, I expected to be contacted saying it was not available, but they shipped it to me about a month ago.

Toyota Parts | 1stToyotaParts.com

Engine, Overhaul gasket set

Land Cruiser - 6 cylinder, inline

ENGINE »Engine

Toyota › Land Cruiser › 1984-1987

List Price : $318.60
Your Price : $239.43

I'm sure Beno can get the same one.

how much longer will we even have that option?

Owning a 60 now is not like owning a recent vehicle. A part that is available for it today may not be available tomorrow... If not tomorrow, then most assuredly some day down the line.

The only way to try to keep a 60 for a long time now is to decide how long you want to keep it. Then get out the checkbook.

If you want to try to keep it running for another 15 years..... Buy ALL the parts that you can foresee wearing out the next 15 years....TODAY.

But none of us (almost none of us) will or can do that, so inevitably, sure as the sun sets in the West, we will all get burned in the end.

O
Owning a 60 now is not like owning a recent vehicle. A part that is available for it today may not be available tomorrow... If not tomorrow, then most assuredly some day down the line.

The only way to try to keep a 60 for a long time now is to decide how long you want to keep it. Then get out the checkbook.

If you want to try to keep it running for another 15 years..... Buy ALL the parts that you can foresee wearing out the next 15 years....TODAY.

But none of us (almost none of us) will or can do that, so inevitably, sure as the sun sets in the West, we will all get burned in the end.
Or go with a 5.3, which was something I was always against....but now it is starting to sound better.

The OEM HG is available aftermarket sold under the Stone or NHK brand, but be careful, not all in the Stone line are Toyota OEM.

Actually, one of the hardest things with a Head Gasket, if you mail-order it, is having it arrive without damage. @beno is the place to order cuz he knows this and packs very well.

OEM HG is gonna be around $100. Don't buy the cheap ones.

Actually, one of the hardest things with a Head Gasket, if you mail-order it, is having it arrive without damage

You're right about that Spike. The first HG I received in the box with all the other gaskets was damaged on arrival. The good folks at 1st Toyota Parts sent me a replacement HG at no charge.

No big deal for me since I wasn't in a hurry to get it. I only ordered it to have for future just in case use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom