Head gasket? High sodium in oil, coolant loss, where to look? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got my Blackstone report back and the Sodium levels are very high, along with some higher metal levels.

Blackstone thinks coolant leak. I checked the overflow reservoir and the coolant was below the "low" mark on the bottle. I have never had any indication of overheating. Maybe a little white smoke sometimes when I first start the truck, but that's it. No idea how long this has been going on. I have been driving it since my last oil change 6000 miles ago and no obvious issues. Listening to the truck now, the engine may be making a ticking noise. Scan gauge engine temp is usually around 188-191 F.

My oil cooler has been a little weepy looking with oil around it and the coolant hoses from the oil cooler are old, maybe original. I bought all the parts to R&R the cooler after I did my timing belt, but never got around to it. I replaced all the other coolant hoses when I did my timing belt as well as Aisin water pump/timing kit, Toyota OE everything else thermostat, radiator (old cracked plastic) coolant Ts & hoses, clamps, seals, pulleys, bearing, belts, and all the other major items at the same time at 194,444 miles.

Clearly a lot of coolant got into my oil for the numbers on my report to be that high, so how do I check for head gasket leak? I have checked the forums and some point to inspecting from below to check for leaks? Do I compression test, leak down? If I find that its indicating a head gasket what is the next step? Most of the post I have found are about blown engines and full overheat.

Is there a DIY for the head gasket? I have read of people doing it themselves, but haven't found any write ups. Is there a chance of there being extra damage I wouldn't notice from the outside that would only present itself once the engine is torn apart? I've done my timing belt, starter, overhauled suspension/AHC, etc. so I am comfortable tearing the truck apart if its a reasonable job to do at home.

Is there a reputable shop I should just be taking my truck to, so they can fully diagnose and work on it?

Current mileage 218,258

View attachment 3144727

Blackstone.JPG

Last edited:
Does it have any performance issues ?

Either way top off that reservoir and see if it holds or drops down again . Mine took 2-3 heat cycles to get to the full mark and hold.

There's not many people who report head gasket failure and those who do usually have some sort of overheating or previous problem which led to it.

As for testing Im not sure what specs your looking for but I suspect a compression test could lend some clues . Will have to see if anyone else chimes in

Two options for testing. Either a radiator combustion gas tester or you want to do a leak down test.

A very easy and good indicator for a head gasket coolant leak is to look at the spark plugs. If you are burning coolant in a cylinder, the spark plug will look clean when compared to the others. Might as well do a compression test at the same time. The compression test will also give you an indication of the health of your engine, and let you know if it is worth pulling the heads, or start looking for a used one.

If you have a leak between the oil and coolant only, the coolant will fill up with oil pretty quickly. Oil pressures are way higher than the 12psi pressure of the coolant system, so the oil will move into the coolant passages.

Smoke right at start up is usually a valve seal issue and would be corrected when you have the heads reworked. Does it burn oil? (Do you have to add oil in between oil changes?)

If everything else is near the normal range, but only the sodium level is twice more than the average, would that be a problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom