Head gasket gone! Options?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I rebuilt mine to make it stronger for turbo charger, however, when I removed the head I noticed the HG was good as new. I bought my rig with 100,000km so I suspect it might have been changed in that time of the OEM gasket was simply in damn good condition.

Regardless, when I had my engine rebuilt they had to machine about 30thou off the block to get it square. The head pressure tested fine. I believe it's the corners of the block that distort first leading to HG issues. Yes, much of the time you can get away with just a machined or replacement head. However, if you have the funds and the miles are clocking up, a rebuild is a very good idea. Not that anything major needs replacing, more so that the block itself can machine out any irregularities or wear that have happened over time. Another benefit is to ensure the both the head and the block are machined to the required RA (roughness average) which is a grading of how finely machined both mating surfaces are for the HG to get the best seal possible.

Regardless, when I had my engine rebuilt they had to machine about 30thou off the block to get it square. The head pressure tested fine. I believe it's the corners of the block that distort first leading to HG issues. Yes, much of the time you can get away with just a machined or replacement head. However, if you have the funds and the miles are clocking up, a rebuild is a very good idea. Not that anything major needs replacing, more so that the block itself can machine out any irregularities or wear that have happened over time. Another benefit is to ensure the both the head and the block are machined to the required RA (roughness average) which is a grading of how finely machined both mating surfaces are for the HG to get the best seal possible.
You had some major issues with your motor such as a bad exhaust valve, 2 teeth missing from your timing chain gear, and a leaking HG. Not sure what was going on there, but something caused your engine to throw a fit something fierce.

If compression checks out, you obtain the correct finish or RA on both surfaces and any warpage is within spec you shouldn't have to do a total rebuild in order to get another decade or two on that short block. Of course going all the way if you have the time/money would be tons better than a hole in the head.

This OCD is called shipwright's disease. While I'm at it, I might as well....

IMO
If it's your daily driver and you're trying to keep things on a budget then just do the head gasket. If it's your expo toy and if you have funds available then now would be a good time to overhaul. Especially if you're planning on keeping it forever and ever.

Thanx all for the input. I've accepted the fact that I will eventually rebuild the whole truck. As of right now I'm gonna yank the motor and tear it down to see what I have. My favorite machine shop in town is no longer in biz so I'm gonna have to find one I can trust. When I'm done it will be better than stock for sure.

It's true if I got a used motor the HG would be in doubt all over again.

You aren't very far form Martin Davidson in Reseda, less than two hours. Less without traffic. To the North ask who Valley Hybrids uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom