Head Gasket FAQ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone I’m lookin for some input.. I’ve got a 1993 Land Cruiser and I’m about to pull the motor/trans. I’m going to do the head gasket, studs, timing chain (and guides??), as well as the rear main seal.

Is there anything else you recommend I do while I have the engine and trans out? It has 229k miles. Unknown on the maintenance history, the guy who sold it to me was not helpful in that sense. He said the AC has been repaired and the transmission had work done to it by a shop.

I live in the desert so I’m sure there will be a lot of hoses that need repaired. I just want to replace as much I can while I have 360 degree access.

Thanks in advance

DCF7354B-E52B-483A-849E-49A27B0B356C.jpeg

I'm in the same boat as you with a 95' desert truck, except I don't have the means to pull the engine. I've got a storage garage I am going to do the work in as I live in an apartment w/o garage access.

I have already just about every hose and gasket kit Wits End offers for the engine along with power steering hoses from a couple other places. I'll be ordering a rebuild kit once I get the head out and resurfaced. In addition to that, I've got an OME heavy kit, knuckle kit, and axle rebuild kits from Cruiser Outfitters. My plan is to replace the rest of the bushings and hoses as necessary since the complete set of underside parts alone is over a grand.

I am also really looking for some input on this.

Replace all:
-vacuum lines
-water lines
-PS lines
-engine harness if you can, injector connectors will probably go sooner than later, if nothing else
-sensors
-gaskets
-seals
-oil pump gasket
-wires

Rebuild/refresh/seal:
-power steering pump
-power steering gear box
-???

Test:
-brake booster, much easier to put new one in without the intake on there (allegedly)

Quite sure others with more experience can add to that list

reseal the upper and lower oil pans while it's on the stand

Replace all:
-vacuum lines
-water lines
-PS lines
-engine harness if you can, injector connectors will probably go sooner than later, if nothing else
-sensors
-gaskets
-seals
-oil pump gasket
-wires

Rebuild/refresh/seal:
-power steering pump
-power steering gear box
-???

Test:
-brake booster, much easier to put new one in without the intake on there (allegedly)

Quite sure others with more experience can add to that list
very helpful, thank you.

Anyone have a thread or advice on resealing the upper and lower pans?

4 of my fuel injector connections basically broke in half when removing the engine :( is this an easy fix

update:

Engine is finally out. Took longer than anticipated. Lessons learned so far and not in any particular order:

- the wiring harness is a nightmare to deal with if you don’t remove the intake manifold before pulling the engine…expect to break some connectors
-the bell housing bolts on top of the tranny are easy to access when you remove the center console
-removing the radiator and front cross bar will save you some heartache
-I am limited by the height of my garage door which jammed me up when hoisting. A nice pair of jack stands and taking off the front tires helped out a lot
-I am not sure what I could have done to make life easier when dealing with the transmission cooling lines. I was not sure how to remove them prior to hoisting the engine so I just pried them out of the way. I think I broke one

My plan so far is to just replace any rubber seals. I’m doing the head gasket, valve seals, oil pump seal, upper and lower pan seal, rear main seal, front crank seal, And distributor seal, timing guides and timing chain. I broke my radiator while pulling the engine so I’m going to replace that too.

Thanks again for the help

B27B04F0-8C63-47A1-920A-46D03777FDC2.jpeg

I’d watch OTRAMMs head gasket videos if you haven’t already to help you with the process. Good luck though; seems like it’s not your first rodeo!
OTRAMM puts out some awesome videos. I wish someone would take over the videography work for him 😂

Don’t trust your engine stand! I always put an axle stand under the front pulley. I have seen the cheap stands break😳

Anyone have a thread or advice on resealing the upper and lower pans?

4 of my fuel injector connections basically broke in half when removing the engine :( is this an easy fix

Super easy - I think every one that does the head gasket has broken at least one. Since the colors alternate between orange and gray, I got some good used onse from @slow95z so I could keep the alternating colors. If you buy new from Toyota, they only come in gray.

Also, I recommend notching your intake manifold so you don't have to disconnect the main harness if you ever have to pull it again.

Update:

Got the head back from the machine shop and put back together. *Pro tip* get a buddy to help you re seat the valves 😂

Pulled the pans, timing cover, chain and gear set. Things look as expected. The last person to go through this over torqued every nut and bolt down so that’s been fun. *Pro tip* get yourself a nice butane torch - it’s been a life saver

I purchased a steam cleaner from Harbor Freight to help with the cleaning of all the oil and road grime that has caked on nearly every part in the engine bay. I’ve gone through 6 wire brushes, 2 cans of brake cleaner, and 4 scouring pads. I’m finding the most success using Gunk Heavy Gel in combination with the steam cleaner. Still takes a lot of elbow grease but the results are worth the effort.

The last of the parts I’ve ordered came in. Still have some cleaning to do but I’m hoping to start reassembly by Wednesday. Huge thanks to Wits-End for the quick shipping and selection. Keep doing the Lord’s work Joey! 😂

9534291F-0047-486F-ACB0-1E7774850EFF.jpeg

0974B0C4-2EA6-468A-AAA9-AA34BFA12CAD.jpeg

BB3A7800-24F3-454F-8800-92EA43BFEBA7.jpeg

0E969CD0-AF9F-4DDF-AC78-79A1E6AF40F0.jpeg

C81CA533-F82A-4A11-8305-EB6D7E229A72.jpeg

Looking for some input on radiators. Why stick with Toyota vs any other brand? Is it just for the fit or are they actually better than say Denso?

Looking for some input on radiators. Why stick with Toyota vs any other brand? Is it just for the fit or are they actually better than say Denso?

These days....unless you invest in something like a Ron Davis radiator.....then I consider that vast majority to be 'disposable' after 6-10 years depending upon construction.

Longevity aside....you DO want something that performs well. The best performing radiators currently available have been discussed here ad nauseam, so a simple search will turn that up.

Good luck with your choice and build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom