Head Gasket FAQ (2 Viewers)

alia176

SILVER Star
I'm a little late to the party but I'd have suggested that the OP pull the ECU harness with the engine because that way, you only disconnect the three or four large connectors at the ECU then pull the whole thing through the firewall. In any case, I suggest pulling the ECU harness out of the vehicle, fixing and fortifying the part around the EGR (search will reveal info) then install the harness on the engine before stabbing the thing back in!

If you're going to die with your cruiser, I might suggest simply purchasing a brand new ECU harness for $6xx (lubrication not withstanding) and call it done for another 25 years.

Another pro tip - play close attention to the spring loaded cam shaft sprockets in the FSM. If you didn't do this already, make sure to screw in a 8mm or was it 10mm, bolt into the cam sprocket so that they're properly pre-loaded.

Also, the oil pump bronze bushing is only sold by Witt's end products and you may need to replace yours, so check out the condition before wrapping it all up.

Goes w/o saying, do replace all of the transmission and Tcase and engine interface seals!

Enjoy dude, this is an enjoyable process.

flintknapper

SILVER Star
Another pro tip - play close attention to the spring loaded cam shaft sprockets in the FSM. If you didn't do this already, make sure to screw in a 8mm or was it 10mm, bolt into the cam sprocket so that they're properly pre-loaded.

6mm x 1.0 pitch IIRC Same as a Valve Cover Bolt.

exh cam install3.jpg

Last edited:
It’s amazing how something so cheap and seemingly insignificant can derail a project. Finally got the $4 o-ring in today. Reassembly finally starts today.

image.jpg

Made some good progress today. Only one sheered bolt 🤬. Thank god it was an easy fix.

Some things I learned today:

The zip tie placement on the timing chain guides and sprocket makes life a lot easier. I made 3 adjustments before doing it right.

The FSM was more helpful than YouTube for reinstalling the cams. Diagrams were easy to follow and there isn’t any over complicated verbiage.

I wish I had been more organized with my bolt placement and labeling when taking this apart. I was super OCD at the beginning but as the beers went down, so did my attention span. Getting Christmas decorations out didn’t help considering I had to move everything out of the way to access the attic 😂. Oh well. Happy wife happy life.

I did some research on valve clearance. I recommend doing the same after reinstalling your shafts. I’m gonna have my mechanic buddy check them again before I move forward.

Overall I’m very pleased with how this is going. These repairs would have cost me at least 5k in a shop. I’m a noob mechanic with a decent set of tools. I lacked a lot of confidence going into this project but have been fortunate enough to find this forum, Toyota 80 Series USA on Facebook, and OTRAMM to guide me along. I can’t wait to hear it run for the first time after the repairs knowing I fixed it. Thanks again for the tips.

28FAD4FA-EF2F-4865-9F58-3D873D5730AA.jpeg

3350FC2C-3654-4A3B-8E6E-71DF59537C4F.jpeg

5458878E-D188-4612-86EA-AF720A3A6A8E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom