Head gasket failure warning signs here? (1 Viewer)

I'm going to look at a '97 80 series with 103K on the clock at the end of the week, and received some initial pics. of the rig. In looking at the pics, I'm seeing some black looking soot or some other crap on and around the valve cover. Could it be carbon, and is that an initial warning sign of the head gasket going?(see pic below)

One more thing...does anyone have pics. of an 80 in this color combination with a lift, ARB, and maybe 285-315's? I'm trying to get an idea of how it would look as I've never seen a modded 80 in this color.
TCL 012806012.jpg
TCL 012806003 5.jpg

Last edited:
Usually around the valve cover you'll see just very slight oil seeping from the gasket. Not a sign of head gasket failure. I have an LX450 in that color combination with 315's. No lift.....yet.

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Headgasket is on the bottom of the head, not the top were the valve cover is.

Check the level and color of the fluids, that will tell you if it was taken care of. There is a helpful link in the FAQ if your thinking of buying.

Good Luck!

Romer said:
Headgasket is on the bottom of the head, not the top were the valve cover is.

Check the level and color of the fluids, that will tell you if it was taken care of. There is a helpful link in the FAQ if your thinking of buying.

Good Luck!

Thanks Romer. My concern lies in the area around valve cover that I just outlined in the picture. I guess worst case is a leaky valve cover gasket as boekppl noted? I'll check the fluids as you recommended and check out the FAQ.

I've been trying to break free to look at this for over almost a month, so with any luck I'll be coming back with it from Dallas sometime next week. I just got the guy to agree to take it to a Toyota dealer for an inspection before I commit. Hope it works out so we can ditch the wife's 02 Jetta POS and this will be her DD instead.

Last edited:
I got dirty oil blown along the right side of the engine and valve cover from an oil pump leak. At least that was the only oil leak I could find, and the valve cover is clean since fixing the pump leak. I guess that the Coriolis effect from the fan blew it upward? Anyway, you might crawl underneath and see if the oil pump or PS pump are leaking. These are minor issues but might be negotiating points.

having just gone through a HG replacement on a 97 LX450, I can tell you there were NO warning signs until it failed. i owned it for 37K miles (2 1/2 years) and did oil changes with M1 every 5K and all the other PM recommended by the owners manual during that period. it ran like a CHAMP until it blew.

You might could run a compression check and leakdown test...i ran a compression test when I bought it and everything checked out. leakdown test confirmed failed HG in cyl 6 after the failure.

of course you want to make sure all PM has been done...guess what i'm saying is, pay appropriately assuming that you might lose the HG.

I have a 97 the same color with OME 2.5 lift and 285's, if beuwolf's pic's didn't do it for you I could run outside and take a few. P.M. me if you want

There is a 91 with 11k on a full engine rebuild in Dallas it is that color and has 95 leather interior. I was thinking of getting it but ended up getting a local 80. I can email you pictures and the owners contact info if you want.

Thats the valve cover gasket, I had similiar looking smudge. As soon as I replaced the gasket, and wipped off that area everything was good.

Sno bored said:
.. if beuwolf's pic's didn't do it for you ...

beuwolf ?

Lower Case "b"
u and o in the wrong place
not preceeded by Mr

fAvE, is that you? You postin' using Sno blower's ID?

-B-

Mr. Beowulf, I apollogize fer mai bad spellin skillz. I am tri-in two pas mi GED. Get Er Dun :flipoff2:

Sno bored said:
Mr. Beowulf .. drivel ...

Much improved. Nothing else matters. :flipoff2:

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom