Head Gasket and "While You're in There" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished getting her plumbed back up and fluids filled.

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

Last edited:
Ignition!
Once I got the battery tray back in I connected the battery, leaving the coil free from the distributor. I wanted to see if I could get some oil pressure on the gauge before I tried to fire the engine. I did two 15 second-long starter bursts. On the second I saw the oil pressure needle start to move up. I connected the coil and got back in. When I turned the key it fired and ran instantly. Like within two seconds of cranking. It didn't stumble or complain or make any weird sounds. Just sewing machine right off the start. I was all alone and had no one to share the moment with. So now I have you guys. I've got more to do today, and have to get the AC charged and a CA smog certificate. Then I can start throwing some more money at it!

There is a very incredible feeling of satisfaction when that start-up occurs and you know, deep inside, you did everything correctly and the 1FZ-FE responds in kind with confirmation of your efforts and hard work.

It's a gratifying moment. Very few moments that resemble this in our lives.

There is a very incredible feeling of satisfaction when that start-up occurs and you know, deep inside, you did everything correctly and the 1FZ-FE responds in kind with confirmation of your efforts and hard work.

Yes, and it also leaves you with a fondness towards that FSM!

Totally agree !! I think my 'gratifying moment' even rivaled child birth, not sure my ex would agree with that, but it is special when it all comes together !!

Thank you very much for sharing!!!!!!!!!!! Ill be into this next year probably and these write ups are like gold. :beer:

great job. Looks cherry

Today, I got the drive shafts bolted up and adjusted the distributor with the SST (paper clip) and timing gun. Idling perfectly and running nice and cool. Drove her around pretty hard too, hood off, boiling off that old coolant that had survived in the tailpipe. No leaks, oil pressure looks real good, and transmission shifting and kicking down just right. Remember I have never driven this rig: trailered it down after purchasing. Feels tight. Additionally, getting her up on the lift made some other stuff more convenient. Diffs and transfer case revealed full levels and nice clean gear oil. Hood is on now, and she's ready for her grill. Next stop smog station and AC shop for a charge.

your rebuild turned out very clean. What timing are your running? I've put about 5k miles on mine since the rebuild and I just advanced the timing to about 8 degrees. Made a huge difference.

This is awesome and inspiring since I'm about to do the same thing. About how much room overhead and in front of the truck did you need to pull that monster? My garage is kinda small, and I'm worried about having room to pull it. It doesn't help that there is a slope up to the garage.

Engine update: running great. Good gas mileage and power - for a 1FZ, that is. ;)
Passed smog easily. Keep in mind I bought this thing as a (nice) non-runner. It's been my DD for a while now. There's one very small leak and it's coming from the power steering pump. I think it may be the o-ring sealing the high pressure line. It's like one drip every few days. Not a biggie. The rest of the pump looks good and is nice and quiet. My build list just keeps getting longer as I use it!

Glad it's working out for you. I would like to erge you to change the oil soon. There will still be remnants of coolant in the oil due to the HG failure. The coolant will show up as sodium in the analysis and can accelerate engine wear.

This was my experience when I sent a oil sample to blackstone 3500 miles after a head gasket failure, repair and oil change. The engine was running great but blackstone informed me that my oil contained a small amount of potassium and the iron and aluminum numbers were more on par with oil used for 4700 miles. Not a major problem and I know that oil is not as cheap as it used to be, but if I ever do another HG I will do two oil changes soon after she's up and running again.

Glad it's working out for you. I would like to erge you to change the oil soon. There will still be remnants of coolant in the oil due to the HG failure. The coolant will show up as sodium in the analysis and can accelerate engine wear.

This was my experience when I sent a oil sample to blackstone 3500 miles after a head gasket failure, repair and oil change. The engine was running great but blackstone informed me that my oil contained a small amount of potassium and the iron and aluminum numbers were more on par with oil used for 4700 miles. Not a major problem and I know that oil is not as cheap as it used to be, but if I ever do another HG I will do two oil changes soon after she's up and running again.
Oh yes, definitely. I did an oil and filter change at around 400 miles, maybe less. Got Rotella in there now. Next up I'm going to flush out the radiator and block for the same reason.

I tried to rebuild my PS pump a couple of years ago and failed miserably. I thought after rebuilding my wife's CRV's pump (simple) this one would be no sweat. It wasn't and I had to give up and buy a new one from Toy. Enjoyed your write up, glad it all worked out OK. Ned

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom